Minn Kota I-pilot

squidboy

Hello fellow raiders,

I have been considering upgrading my Minn Kota Co-pilot to the I-pilot. The features that make me interested in the i-pilot are:

1. the anchor function and

2. the track memory.

I have two questions:

1. With the electric anchor, I was wondering whether the electric motor gradually gets you back to the same spot or is the electric motor 'rough' getting back to the marke spot. I was wondering when the electric motor tries to get you back whether you can be thrown off balance.

2. When you have recorded a track. Does the electic motor then follow the same track at the same speed you originally done it? For example, if I recorded a drift, would it follow that drift at the same spped.

Would like your views if you have an i-pilot. Cheers Squidboy

Hi Mate, worth every cent and to answer your questions see below:-

1. It is very accurate but wind and tide will be a variant and it is within about 5 foot radius-this is the coolest feature and as I said above worth every cent over the old AP version.

2. No the speed will not be the same and I have often done a track with the main engine to make it quicker and not waster battery doing it-works well, just have to be carefeul not to let the MK travel in the water at speeds higher than designed.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow raiders,

I have been considering upgrading my Minn Kota Co-pilot to the I-pilot. The features that make me interested in the i-pilot are:

1. the anchor function and

2. the track memory.

I have two questions:

1. With the electric anchor, I was wondering whether the electric motor gradually gets you back to the same spot or is the electric motor 'rough' getting back to the marke spot. I was wondering when the electric motor tries to get you back whether you can be thrown off balance.

2. When you have recorded a track. Does the electic motor then follow the same track at the same speed you originally done it? For example, if I recorded a drift, would it follow that drift at the same spped.

Would like your views if you have an i-pilot. Cheers Squidboy

Hi.I have the i pilot. Its generally smooth when holding on a spot and stays within a few meters radius. You dont really 'feel' its pulling you around you just notice you are always on the same spot. When its close to getting on its mark the revs gradually go lower.

When you follow a recorded track it follows the course and you set the speed at whatever you want. It doesnt record the original speed/s.

The I Pilot is great. The anchor function is on it's own especially in calm weather. I find it struggles in reasonably blowie conditions.I am not an engineer but I would like to see I Piolt with a 24 volt system as a standard. When bought I mine I shopped around and one of the sites sponsors Huet's Marine pencil was sharp. Give em call they will look after you. They are well worth the bucks.

Good to hear the feedback raiders. Decided on the weekend to pick one up. When you say blowy conditions, how many knots wind do you think is too much for it to handle?

Its going to depend on you boat and how much wind it picks up and the size of electric you have. I dont know how many knots but when it gets 'blowy' you need to set your anchor lock further upwind a few meters of your intended spot to compensate. Ive never been in a situation where the Minn kota hasnt been able to cope at all. Generally the more windy it is the more off course you go. Its not perfect but its damn good.