True Penn line capacity or did I do something wrong

SargeRX8

Hey all,

Ive got a Penn 560. On the spool it suggests you can get on about 185M of 0.45mm line. I loaded it up with 0.37 braid marked at 5m intervals and it only took 75m. Did I do something wrong? Is this reel talking out its arse to me? I applied tension with my hands as I have no spooling machine to apply the tension for me. I also can't see a chance in tension allowing > 110m of line going on.

Any ideas?

Anyone else got the same reel and know how much they fit on? The old line I had was 0.35 and the spool was marked at 137m in length and it took all that. Could this interval thing be a wrong?

Edited by SargeRX8

You sure it's not 10m intervals most are 10 m

I never thought to measure it, I'll do that now, the advertisement stated 5m. I took the line off the spool again and this time applied significantly more tension, I can probably fit another "20" metres on it.

Just checked, the line is coloured every 5m.

Edited by SargeRX8

Sorry Shane,

Not wanting to be niggly but Sarge, its actually VERY important to wind braid (unlike mono) onto a spool under a lot of tension. Braid needs to be packed down onto a spool hard, otherwise if you hook up then under tension, your line can easily bury itself in the line still on the spool... lost fish. You're dead right NOT to wind on mono under heavy tension because with the stretch in mono can put so much extra pressure on a spool that it can damage the spool.

I reckon that it's probably a case of poor or misleading labeling of the line diameter (or maybe the spool capacity although that's unlikely with a know brand like Penn)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May be fake braid. I fell victim to fake Power Pro off ebay. If its power pro your using a simple give away of a fake is on the back of the box. It says "mades" instead of "makes". I wont get into other signs unless you need them :)