Winter Service And Tidy

Lightweight

I have just dropped my boat off for its annual service and check over... The weather is not ideal for much at the moment so it is a good opportunity to have a few things looked at by the professionals, get the grease and oil changed and then get it back home to do some of the winter chores and complete the things on my "Winter Improvement List"

Here is what i intend to have done by the end of August, ready for Spring!

1) Fit a new Radio (27meg)

2) Fit a brand bew UHF radio

3) Fit my Lowrance H20 hand held GPS somehow (anyone got any ideas or know of a universal GPS mount??

4) Fit a Radio so i can listen to the cricket over the summer...

5) Complete the building and fitting of removal trolling poles (7ft) so i can chase some of the deeper tailor and salmon, and basically see if it is possible to have poles that get my lures/bait that extra bit wider away from the boat. I have them 50% done, just some final construtction and fitting to be done.

6) :beersmile:

LW

If the budget extends far enough, get one of these:

625_gr968_cd_and_radio.jpg

As well as a radio, you can play normal CD's plus (most importantly) MP3's which means you can save 200 or so songs on a single CD and set it on 'random'. It's one of the best things I've purchased.

Guest Jocool

Did you mean to say VHF rather than UHF? In a boat, its no good talking to truckies. :074:

I think the unit Iain is refering to is a GME. You can see them at Whitworths....or at this weekends boat show. :biggrin2: If your at the show, it will give you a chance to check out options for mounting the GPS. RAM make a good system.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Hi Joe,

Yep, i meant VHF... I had a mind explosion and was thinking about my trusty Defender and the UHF in that...

The VHF is the last added feature, it isn't necessary, just so i could communicate to my parents when they are at sea...

The 27meg will suit 99% of my needs perfectly.

LW

Yeah Mate. GME.

$298.90 in the latest Bias catalogue I have sitting in front of me.

You'll need to buy speakers as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I am back from my absence and have gathered all the parts to put the bits and pieces together.

I found a good mount for the GPS from the local Lowrance dealer, it is one of the RAM mounts, very neat, sturdy and tidy looking mounting system. (gee the Yanks know how to make solid stuff!)

I picked up a GME FM/AM waterproof radio. I figured that i will just use my iTrip to listen to music, no need for old fashhioned cd's anymore... :1naughty: And i mostly listen to the Cricket when i am on the water anyway, don't want to scare away the fish!

I have also sourced a new 27Mhz radio which is to replace my stuffed one.

And the outrigger poles are coming along as well. They are not quite as ambitious as Joe's poles, but they will help me get my lures where i want them...

LW

3) Fit my Lowrance H20 hand held GPS somehow (anyone got any ideas or know of a universal GPS mount??

I have a handheld etrex Gps and i use mobile phone holder that you can buy from nearly any cheapo shop or at strathfield car radios. Hope this helps. There is nothing worse then t :1fishing1: he trying to keep em from falling off the dash at sea!

I spent most of the weekend doing the above installations, and modifications. I have a few pics to show of the work. I mounted the GPS on the RAM mount on the side of the console sheild, from this angle it is out of the way of the instruments bit still clearly visible to the driver.

I also did most of the work for the small outriggers as well, the other pics i took did not come out too well.. (i need to improve my photo skills!)

LW

post-516-1124668837_thumb.jpg

post-516-1124668857_thumb.jpg

post-516-1124668876_thumb.jpg