Snaps on SP's

rasskl

Hi All,

I'm just wondering of there is any issue with using snap locks with soft plastics?
Does it adversly affect the way it works etc?

I've been using them recently and my strike rate seems to be down a tad compared to not using them.

I like to use them as its easier to switch between jigheads and other lures.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Cheers, Dom :biggrinthumb:

I use them and I've caught fish. I don't know how much effect it has but I find it has an impact on bigger paddle tail plastics, the hole plastic wobbles around rather thab the tail paddling and i believe its due to the extra pivot point at the clip. Wrigglers work just fine. Sometime though if the jig head twists in the clip, it won't swim right until you correct it. I find my self swapping lures and jig heads often and really wanna spend less time cutting an snipping.

Edited by SargeRX8

IMO Dont use them. you said it your self, the strike rate has gone down.

On smaller SP's they can impede the action and also give off a metallic taste if they dont get hooked in the first take.

This is the best excuse to buy more tackle!! u need a seperate rod for each plastic, that way you dont have to keep re-tying. thats what i told my missus hahaha

Stan

Using snaps will affect your catch rate on certain species. I guarantee you will struggle to find one angler who competes on the bream and bass circuits who uses a snap. That says a lot. Practise and become confident in tying a decent loop knot. It only takes a few extra seconds to re-tie another lure or jighead onto your leader.

Edited by lurenut

I used snaps when starting out for the sake of convenience, but it was blatantly obvious it was affecting my hook up rate and imo the action on smaller lures. So from that point on I chose to retie every time which I got faster at after a few sessions, be sure to give yourself extra leader, about a metre on top of what you already have to allow for all the length that gets snipped off.

Fishingphase

• 1 month later...

hey mate,

I agree with the above but still use them when using steel bar lures I haven't found that it affects them ( i usually switch size's and colours) i have had alot of luck with these in port hacking near lilly pilly getting taylor and frigate mack FYI

cheers,

IMO Dont use them. you said it your self, the strike rate has gone down.

On smaller SP's they can impede the action and also give off a metallic taste if they dont get hooked in the first take.

This is the best excuse to buy more tackle!! u need a seperate rod for each plastic, that way you dont have to keep re-tying. thats what i told my missus hahaha

Stan

stan you hound dog!! Lol good way to get more combos!!! Champion

Tight lines,

Shakeel

• 3 weeks later...