A Quick Holiday

bombora

Hiya alol; just back from a week up at Crescent HEad. SUrfing trip but always sneak a fish or two in. Jews were being taken from beach and rocks while there (most mornings going for a wave would check the fish cleaning bin and jewie frames and heads of fish up to about 12 kg where there). Sambos where having sex ( :1naughty: ) at least that's what we think they were doing, in a hole just down from the surf club each morning. Bream tailor and sambos coming to the old fellas on the beach each evening. Some kings to about 70cms from the rocks in the mornings.

For me the lake and river where cold and clear and held baby bream and wigglr flatties, apart from a first for me; a 35cms estuary cod _ on a 3inch watermelon shad bass minnow taken from a big snag/overhanging ledge at my feet. Was very happy.

Back in Sydney yesterday evening the ocean had been blown totally flat. So flat you could stand at sea level on the ocean rocks and not get your toes wet.

Got bored and wandered down to the rocks at Dee Why at 4.30pm. Chucked in left over fried rice to at least get a mado or two milling about and make my rock a tiny bit more alluring to an inquisitive fish than elsewhere. Anyway, scored a rat king of 58cms on a three inch Slider bass grub in lumo. This is the 6th king (biggest 70cms) I've scored by doing exactly the same thing _ throwing Slider bass grubs in either pearl or glow in dead flat conditions in crystal, shallow water at DY over the last few winters. Virtually the entire coast has these conditions when many fishos say it ain;t worth it. Lots of places have these same areas all year round of clear shallow kelp and boulder bays and protected areas. Gotta be something in it as ONLY bass grubs in glow or pearl have worked (quarter once heads have ben good). Gotta also wait till the cliffs cast shadows over the cold clear water. The kings have been a blast on 2 or 3 kg Fireline and 5kg Nitlon leader, fighting em in the flat water and sliding em up a bit of sloping rock for release or dinner. Give it a go if you are bored when the west winds blow the ocean dead flat. Slow roll retrieve with the odd jig has been working. Cheers Bombie