Fishfinder for Kayak

benm

My Hobie Revolution arrives in a week so I have been looking at fishfinders. I have only looked at Lowrance so far as that is what the dealer sells. It will also be my first fishfinder, ever. After speaking to the dealer I will probably go with either the Lowrance Elite-4 or Elite-4 with DSI.

Does anyone here have experience with DSI? What are your thoughts on it compared to a "standard" fishfinder? I will be fishing offshore most of the time. I have heard that the DSI is not very good in deep water but most of the time I only fish about 30 metres.

Any thoughts/opinions at all are greatly appreciated.

I have the Elite 4 DSI on my Pro Angler. Pretty good sounders. Perfect for a yak. I quite like the DSI but its definitely not a "must" when it comes to picking a sounder. Been working really well for me though!

Cheers, Tom

My Hobie Revolution arrives in a week so I have been looking at fishfinders. I have only looked at Lowrance so far as that is what the dealer sells. It will also be my first fishfinder, ever. After speaking to the dealer I will probably go with either the Lowrance Elite-4 or Elite-4 with DSI.

Does anyone here have experience with DSI? What are your thoughts on it compared to a "standard" fishfinder? I will be fishing offshore most of the time. I have heard that the DSI is not very good in deep water but most of the time I only fish about 30 metres.

Any thoughts/opinions at all are greatly appreciated.

I also hav an elite 4 and I can tell u they are awesome for estuary but it is true deep water they cannot read structure properly and fail to read fish. On my sounder once I hit 15-20 m the bottom is just flat very very flat but from 0 -13 meters I can see every piece of rock/ weed like its 3d

Anything over 20 m is no good for the dsi.

Most important thing is what is your budget?

Seeing how your fishing deep water you would need a decent sounder with a frequency of 83mhz

Most important thing is what is your budget?

Seeing how your fishing deep water you would need a decent sounder with a frequency of 83mhz

My budget is $400.

The Elite-4 is dual 83/200 kHz, is that what you mean?