The worst bycatch of all

James12345

Went out on a house boat from wisemans ferry over this Australia Day weekend... Over the 3 days of fishing we caught about 20 eel, 30 catfish, a flounder and a few legal flatties. I also managed to get a couple of micro Jews around the 30cm mark :/

I have been trying to improve my pb jewy which at the moment stands at a pathetic 47cm... And on the Sunday night I though I had... We had anchored up around spencer which is a good hour up river from Brooklyn bridge... We had found a channel about 20metres deep... I had managed to grab a few yellowtail during the day and had kept them live for that night. As the night wore on the faith along with the number of "livies" decreased and I was left with one DEAD yakka at about 1 in the morning... I pinned the yakka through the shoulder and casted him out on my baitrunner 8000D into the slack top of the tide... It didn't take long.... Zzzzzzzzzzzz went the drag. I struck. I hooked up and it was on.. The fish had a surprisingly strong first run and at this stage I thought it had to be the elusive big Jew. As the fight entered its 5th minute the fish tires and surfaces not far from the boat... Expecting to see silver I was met with an almighty estuary stingray... My shoulders dropped.. The things head was about 800mm wide and the tail was gigantic. I cut my leader and he swam off unharmed

What an anti climax :(

But I am getting closer to the metre Jew

Persistence Is key

Edited by Fishhunter123