alvey 650bcxl

fisholb

hi. my alvey 650bcxl drag is faulty. the reel seems to be in free spool. can anyone know how to fix it? i got the reel around 2009. alvey suppose to come with 5yrs warranty but i lost the receipt. just got the box that came with it. im located at western sydney. does anyone know someone whp can fiz it? thanks.

mate...thanks for the reply...i havent taken it apart...too scared ill damage it more...i can pull the line from the reel without feeling any drag even if i tighten everything...i prefer to take it somewhere or to someone who knows how to fix it...

There's really not much to them mate...

Get your phone and take photos as you pull it apart, that way you can't go wrong. That's what I did when I pulled my outboard apart ;)

If you still feel uncomfortable doing it, take it to your local tackle store, but ask what it's goin to cost first so he dosnt sting you $60 just for pulling an alvey apart.

Fishingphase

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fisholb, How did you go with the repair? All sorted? Alvey customer service are fantastic! I was apprehensive about taking my 651c5 apart 1st time, I made sure I set every piece out in an order I could remember and now I service everyone of my reels without a second thought and the drag on the 651c5 was pretty daunting 1st time. If the same problem happens in future check the cam pin is sitting The right way on the back plate, similar situation if the fish alert ratchet stops working. Sometimes the pin slips or the spool is put on with one of the dividers slightly off, being over the cam to much to the right or left so the drag switch misses when you select it. A simple fix if that's the case. You can download the reel schematics off the Alvey website or google your reel name and exploded view and it will come up as a pdf you can look at. Hope your treating your reel to some salty and sandy conditions! They love it hahaha!

thanks for the advice smn...i took my alvey to the local alvey retailer..the bloke showed me the fault and how to fix it...cost me $20 to fix it...im very happy with the service the bloke did to my reel...its like new again...

yeah mate...alvey is probably the best reel anyone can own forever...its either you hate it or love it...

I think people are just a little wary about venturing out...

I remember I was going to purchase one a few years before I actually did and a couple of blokes got in my ear at work and got me off the decision... Oh we'll you can't stop the inevitable

Fishingphase