help with mahi mahi and marlin

okt824

Hello fellow raiders,

need some help targeting mahi mahi and marlin.

I Have been out to the wollongong fad 3 times in last month and have not turned a single reel.

i am dropping various skirted lures from the 40 fathom mark and travelling out to the FAD. Once there i start doing some wide circles and slowly get in closer to it. Have also tried this around/along various fish traps in the area. I tried trolling bibbed lures and also flicking metal slice lures all around the FAD. Have ventured out to the 25km off shore mark and have been unable to even find bait (except for the odd single flying fish jumping as the boat approaches)

I am aware (as any one gamefishing should) that mahi mahi particulary like shelter found around floating objects. I begin to question the size of the FAD, being a bit larger than a 44 gallon barrel, to the size of the 5-15 cargo ships that wait off wollongong to access port kembla harbour sitting in around 30 fathoms. Could this be why i have been unable to achieve a hook up as they are seeking shelter under these ships?

Thanks in advance as any assistance would be amazing

What's the water temp when you get out there? Maybe as you approach try shutting off the engine and drift past the fad flickin lures to see of there's anything around for dollies? They do like a floating object and tend to hang around one but not necessarily directly under it. I've had success with the squidgy pro 140mm flickbait in yakka colour with sfactor give that a go, but if the water is too cold they won't be there at all