New to lure fishing without much success!

sam0

Hi Fishraiders

I've taken up lure fishing a couple of months back and I've had very little success. I get the odd nibbles and the very rare pull, but I've come up empty handed. I must be doing something very wrong. The last 3 weeks I've clocked up 65 hrs of fishing without any success!!

I'm using a shimano stradic 2500 on a shimano raider 2-5kg rod. 6lbs braid and 6lbs flurocarbon leader. Lures I've been paying around with are squidgy slick rig 80mm drop bear, berkley gulp 80mm bloodworm on 4g jig head, 34mm berkley big eye blade , rebel crawfish and gulp 3" shrimp on 2g/4g jigs.

Ive spent many hours around rushcutters bay, rose bay and double bay without any luck. I've also spend many hours around lane cove and fig tree bridge and woolwich without any success!!

I'm obviously doing something wrong or I'm using the wrong lures. Any advice on how to improve my fishing and actually catch anything PLEASE!!

Regards Sam

Hi Sam, lure fishing is a art of it's own. Forget how you fished with bait as it's nothing like it. You have to get your retrieve right for the lure your using and the fish your after. One thing to look at is the way you tie the lure to your line. If you tie it tight up to the ring you will inhibit the swim action of the lure resulting in next to no strikes.

Regards Jeff

Hi Mate,

Days Fishin is right, lure knot it important. I use a Rapala knot, very easy once you get it.

Not sure what fish your targeting, but if your fishing for Flatties, you need to be on the bottom, bouncing off along the bottom.

A general lift flick action on the rod tip gives your lure the desired action.

Don't over flick the rod, just one sharp lift, or two in succession, lower rod tip then few winds on the reel to take up the slack.

I'm sure you know this, but yeah just persist, you'll crack em!

Edited by foolforjesus

Stick with it Sam, it WILL bring rewards.

What are you actually chasing? With the bigger SPs, I am guessing flatties? Grab some Squidgy Fish in Silver Fox and use heavier jig head. (I even use Mr Twister jig heads that only come in 1 size!) The weight of the jig head makes sure the SP gets down towards the bottom! Find some likely water (edges of weed beds, drop offs, around structure or, on a falling tide, just out from where the water is receding.) Watch your line. It should be reasonably 'taut' as the lure drops. When the lure hits the bottom, the line will 'relax'! Wind in the slack line & start your retrieve .... jerk jerk, wind wind with the odd pause etc.

For bream, with the wriggler & shrimp (try the 2" shrimp, I get more hits on them), cast towards structure - with the smaller jigheads (under 4g) you really need to fish areas without flow - as the jig will go with the flow rather than getting down in the water.

Patience & persistence is the key! Keep trying til you get the hits & then you will realise what you have done differently that got you the hit this time.

Good luck

Roberta

Try & get out with some experienced fishos - it will make ALL the difference! You will see exactly what they are doing to get the strike.

Edited by Roberta

It also depends on the tide / time of the month regarding the moon etc. I fish a spot and sometimes get not a bite. Another time I.was there on a Monday night after work and between me and a mate we caught 50 fish! All little and some on bait but still a lot of fun on very light gear.

I was at the spit bridge on Monday night this week, 4 - 5 others there, no one caught a thing and the spit bridge is normally considered a very productive spot. Really does depend on the moon and tides.

My girlfriend is convinced you dont catch anything around full moon because the fish can see more clearly and dont bother with cheap bait and fake food :D

Hi Sam, lure fishing is a art of it's own. Forget how you fished with bait as it's nothing like it. You have to get your retrieve right for the lure your using and the fish your after. One thing to look at is the way you tie the lure to your line. If you tie it tight up to the ring you will inhibit the swim action of the lure resulting in next to no strikes.

Regards Jeff

I've been using a uni knot on all except the rebel crawfish yo which I've used a perfection knot. That makes a lot of sense as i've noticed only the rebel swims around freely. Only downside with the rebel lure is it doesn't go very far as it's very light. Thanks for the tip Jeff, I'll definitely free up my lures. Does this also apply to jigheads?

Hi Mate,

Days Fishin is right, lure knot it important. I use a Rapala knot, very easy once you get it.

Not sure what fish your targeting, but if your fishing for Flatties, you need to be on the bottom, bouncing off along the bottom.

A general lift flick action on the rod tip gives your lure the desired action.

Don't over flick the rod, just one sharp lift, or two in succession, lower rod tip then few winds on the reel to take up the slack.

I'm sure you know this, but yeah just persist, you'll crack em!

I had a look at rapala knot and it seems tricky. If you see the way i struggle with a perfection knot you'll understand how much of a newbie i really am haha.

Not after any fish in particular, close to all my fish will be put back. When I was bait fishing, I would usually just take one legally sized bream or flattie home a week and the rest and put back for another day.

I've been doing the quick flick, wind the loose line in and wait then flick again. Very fun with the blade, the vibration sort of tells me I'm close to using it right.

Hey mate try some bloodworm wrigglers 80mm and some berkley grubs in watermelon or pumpkin seed colours should change your luck if the fish are there

Will definitely be adding those to my collection. Any jighead size in particular goes well with them?

Stick with it Sam, it WILL bring rewards.

What are you actually chasing? With the bigger SPs, I am guessing flatties? Grab some Squidgy Fish in Silver Fox and use heavier jig head. (I even use Mr Twister jig heads that only come in 1 size!) The weight of the jig head makes sure the SP gets down towards the bottom! Find some likely water (edges of weed beds, drop offs, around structure or, on a falling tide, just out from where the water is receding.) Watch your line. It should be reasonably 'taut' as the lure drops. When the lure hits the bottom, the line will 'relax'! Wind in the slack line & start your retrieve .... jerk jerk, wind wind with the odd pause etc.

For bream, with the wriggler & shrimp (try the 2" shrimp, I get more hits on them), cast towards structure - with the smaller jigheads (under 4g) you really need to fish areas without flow - as the jig will go with the flow rather than getting down in the water.

Patience & persistence is the key! Keep trying til you get the hits & then you will realise what you have done differently that got you the hit this time.

Good luck

Roberta

Try & get out with some experienced fishos - it will make ALL the difference! You will see exactly what they are doing to get the strike.

Hi Roberta,

Not after anything in particular yet, just trying to get the hang of lure fishing and once i start catching and start understanding it a lot better then i will start targeting a specfic species like most of the experienced fishraiders. I was recommended the 4g jigheads by a workmate, but he is always on a boat so it might be a bad idea with shore fishing. 2" shrimp sounds like a good idea and will be trying that mid week when i go for another day session.

I asked a few anglers i met when fishing and they were arrogant and pretty much thought they couldn't answer my question so they don;t give away any secrets.

It also depends on the tide / time of the month regarding the moon etc. I fish a spot and sometimes get not a bite. Another time I.was there on a Monday night after work and between me and a mate we caught 50 fish! All little and some on bait but still a lot of fun on very light gear.

I was at the spit bridge on Monday night this week, 4 - 5 others there, no one caught a thing and the spit bridge is normally considered a very productive spot. Really does depend on the moon and tides.

My girlfriend is convinced you dont catch anything around full moon because the fish can see more clearly and dont bother with cheap bait and fake food :D

That's soo true and makes my experience a lot more frustrating not knowing if it's me or just bad timing.

Hi Jake Sam ( :1sorry: Where did I get JAKE from???)

You can use the Uni knot on any lure - just don't tighten it right up to the lure/split ring. After you've landed a fish, chances are, it may have tightened up a bit. Just use your thumb & first fingernail to open it up a tiny bit again. It doesn't have to be very wide (the gap) just so long as there is a gap.

We have plenty of members who delight in putting 'newbies' onto fish with lures & SPs.

Flatties are always easier to catch too - so maybe concentrate on them to start off with. You do big Rod Jerks that lifts the SP off the bottom & it falls back again. They are 'reaction fighters' - they react to anything that moves that faintly resembles a fish or prawn.

Bream are very WARY critters - they will rush over & just LOOK at the lure & only if aggravated or hungry enough, will grab it first go. IF you keep trying for bream - the retrieve needs to be WAY MORE SUBTLE! VERY slow & lots of pauses. (Think of a tortoise with a broken leg - then slow it down some more!! :D ) Sometimes, just let the SP sit on the bottom & count to 20. THen just move it (NOT jerk it) 2- 5cm (don't lift the rod tip like you do for flatties) just do a half turn of the reel or even less - just 'wiggle' the rod tip! That should be enough for any inquisitive to snaffle it. If using diving lures - do a REALLY SLOW retrieve - so that you can ONLY JUST SEE the rod tip 'bouncing' as the lure wobbles thru the water. You will be surprised HOW SLOW you can retrieve to get this effect.

Put a post up in the 'adopt a learner' section! Some one will go out with you!!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

*Sam :harhar:

That's a very good explanation which makes things more clear. I can't wait to put these tips into action!

Clearly my knots have been a big set back so far which i will be practicing in the garage. Going out fishing with someone experienced sounds like a great idea, I must put my name down for that :)

Are there certain jigheads/SP/hard bodies to use in certain areas/ conditions for different species?

.......Are there certain jigheads/SP/hard bodies to use in certain areas/ conditions for different species?.....

Not really - it all depends on the gear you are using, the wind, the current, the weight of the SP that you are putting on it - a bit trial & error to start off with - then you begin to notice a pattern & next time you are in the area (at the same or similar tide) you will automatically go for the SP/jig head that you caught fish on last time! USUALLY, the lighter jig/SP mix you use, the better, as it falls 'naturally' thru the water. With your 6lb line & 6lb leader, you should be able to cast down to 1/32 jig head (1g approx.) It wafts slowly down thru the water & you may even get a hit on the drop, as against a heavier jig head, which goes "CLUNK" straight to the bottom (not very natural at all!)

The 2" shrimp are good on the out tide - this is when they are traditionally 'on the move'!

Good luck!

Roberta

.......Are there certain jigheads/SP/hard bodies to use in certain areas/ conditions for different species?.....

Not really - it all depends on the gear you are using, the wind, the current, the weight of the SP that you are putting on it - a bit trial & error to start off with - then you begin to notice a pattern & next time you are in the area (at the same or similar tide) you will automatically go for the SP/jig head that you caught fish on last time! USUALLY, the lighter jig/SP mix you use, the better, as it falls 'naturally' thru the water. With your 6lb line & 6lb leader, you should be able to cast down to 1/32 jig head (1g approx.) It wafts slowly down thru the water & you may even get a hit on the drop, as against a heavier jig head, which goes "CLUNK" straight to the bottom (not very natural at all!)

The 2" shrimp are good on the out tide - this is when they are traditionally 'on the move'!

Good luck!

Roberta

Thank you soo much for all the info, it is all starting to make a lot of sense, well the basics anyway. So hard body lures ( blade for example) won't work on bream unless they are hungry or the hard body annoyed them where as a flathead will pretty much eat anything in there path?

There probably isn't a simple answer for that other then if a fish wants to eat and the lure appeals to them then they will attack it.

Great advice Roberta!

SLOW! is the key to Bream!

Get out there Jake and show us some fish!

Cher=ers

Chris

Sam* haha :P

I love fishing, catching fish or not I will always keep going and giving it a go :D

...Get out there Jake and show us some fish!.... :074: looks like I've started something!! :18:

I started out fishing for 'anything' - it was only after I started targeting specific species that I started understanding their habits, making it more likely to actually catch them!

Flatties are the easiest fish to catch on the east coast of Australia! Target those initially & then when you are good at flatties, move on to bream. Flatties will take blades, diving lures (deep diving lures will hit the bottom, stirring up sand, which will draw flatties to your lure as they think it is a prawn or baitfish,) topwater lures and SPs. It is just a 'cast of thousands' - you HAVE to put the time in to get the results.

When you stand in your chosen spot, cast to your left & with each cast, 'cast to the clock face' ..... you just put your next cast 1m to the right of where you put your last cast. You are covering the water more efficiently & have every chance of getting a hit. THen move 2m to the right & start again.

I haven't cracked the code of bream on Blades yet - it is still on my list & I am sure I will master it eventually.

Roberta

:mfr_lol: If Sam fails at fishing, I'll take up the name jake and start again :clapping:

I purchased some SP this morning. 2" shrimp, 80mm blood worm and jerk shads with a whole heap of different sized jig heads. My work hours suck for the next few weeks so I'll only be able to fish an hour before work ( Gladesville ) once or twice a week around lane cove and fig tree and see how I go!

When you stand in your chosen spot, cast to your left & with each cast, 'cast to the clock face' ..... you just put your next cast 1m to the right of where you put your last cast. You are covering the water more efficiently & have every chance of getting a hit. THen move 2m to the right & start again.

That's something I've never thought about and makes a lot of sense!

If you are now aiming at Flatties, I would upgrade your leader to at least 10-14lb. Any decent fish will easily bust you off on the 6lb, specially if the flattie twists so that the line is raked by the sharp gill plates.

If you see any poles or bridge pylons or even boat hulls ........ always land your lure as close to them as possible - or better still, cast PAST them & then bring your lure back as close to them as possibly. All the baitfish hang around them, out of the current, & the other fish know that they are there, so are ready to hit them!

Good luck! Bet you get some soon! PLENTY OF PAUSES too in the retrieve

Rushcutters, Rose and Double Bay are generally super clear water fisheries, unless there's been a heap of rain. And they are places which get a lot of attention. I wouldn't go over 8 pound for flatties in those places. Regularly use 6 pound and even 4 if the water's crystal clear and its midday.

. You'll get far more hits, and leadhead jigs often get jaw hinge hook ups which protect that light leader. Just make sure to keep your rod tip low when the falttie comes near you to lessen chance of head shakes which see leader cross their gill spikes or teeth. You'll also get more bream strikes with light leader.

Go to a wharf, chuck in some bread, watch how the baitfish which get attracted swim, they'll pause, waft, shimmy and dart. Then try to swim your lures the way you watched those tiddlers swim.

If you are now aiming at Flatties, I would upgrade your leader to at least 10-14lb. Any decent fish will easily bust you off on the 6lb, specially if the flattie twists so that the line is raked by the sharp gill plates.

If you see any poles or bridge pylons or even boat hulls ........ always land your lure as close to them as possible - or better still, cast PAST them & then bring your lure back as close to them as possibly. All the baitfish hang around them, out of the current, & the other fish know that they are there, so are ready to hit them!

Good luck! Bet you get some soon! PLENTY OF PAUSES too in the retrieve

What would I do if there were no pylons and its all current? I think that was one of the issues i was having around double bay. I would cast to my left and after 2 tugs i was my line drift past me to my right. Would a heavier jig head be the answer and do fish get attracted to lures drifting with the current?

Rushcutters, Rose and Double Bay are generally super clear water fisheries, unless there's been a heap of rain. And they are places which get a lot of attention. I wouldn't go over 8 pound for flatties in those places. Regularly use 6 pound and even 4 if the water's crystal clear and its midday.

. You'll get far more hits, and leadhead jigs often get jaw hinge hook ups which protect that light leader. Just make sure to keep your rod tip low when the falttie comes near you to lessen chance of head shakes which see leader cross their gill spikes or teeth. You'll also get more bream strikes with light leader.

Go to a wharf, chuck in some bread, watch how the baitfish which get attracted swim, they'll pause, waft, shimmy and dart. Then try to swim your lures the way you watched those tiddlers swim.

What does that mean? sorry still a noob to all these terminology. That bread idea is really good advice. What better way to imitate bait fish than to watch them and copy their movement. What lures would you recommend for those areas?

Went out to the spit today and spent a couple of hours flicking lures around the bridge pylons and towards the marina. Didn't catch anything, but had my lures destroyed!! Any idea what done the damage in the pics?

Tried my new 1/8 switchblade also. Got a few nibbles, but didn't feel like anything serious.

There were a few guys down there, one of them just had no idea, flicking his line all over the place, snagging many times and when i asked him if fishing stresses you soo much why not take up another hobby, He ignored me, packed up his things and left :clapping:

post-30424-0-21361100-1360735111_thumb.jpg

Edited by sam0

G'day Samo; jaw hinge is on each side of the fish's face where the top jaw meets the bottom jaw. Single upward pointing hooks on leadhead jigs often find their hookup in the jaw hinge or very near, so your leader isn'r rubbing over teeth.

Blowies or leatherjackets destroy lures like in your pic. Hang in there, you'll crack it soon enough!

I'm hoping it was just a bad day for all around the spit. I've already bought a new set of lures to try again tomorrow :thumbup:

Any ideas what works well at the spit? way too many rocks with oysters all over the place which made me very nervous using my blade!

I had a look at rapala knot and it seems tricky. If you see the way i struggle with a perfection knot you'll understand how much of a newbie i really am haha.

If the Rapala Knot is troubling you, you can always try the Non-Slip Mono, really easy to tie if you know how to tie a normal knot in a line :D