Port Stephens tactics

crusher87

Going out tomorrow Friday sat and sun so I will hopefully have something good to report. Seems like its very hit and miss out there at the moment, according to guys around port, al mglashan, fishraider etc

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how we should fish and/where we should head? Prob going to try and find a solid temp change somewhere before putting any lures out. I heard the water is still green 15 mile out but apparently there isn't much out wide.

We are going in inter club in a few weeks so wouldn't mind a few marlin under our belts between now and then.

Any thoughts/reports?

The area outside broughton is a good place to start, that then gives you the option of heading south or north dependent on the reports of fish. Keep an eye out for the boats like calypso, viking etc, they tend to know where fish were caught the day before (that doesn't mean you won't catch them elsewhere).

If you have the interclub sked map that should give you (and everyone else) an idea of where most fish are coming from over the weekend as the shootout is on.

Going out tomorrow Friday sat and sun so I will hopefully have something good to report. Seems like its very hit and miss out there at the moment, according to guys around port, al mglashan, fishraider etc

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how we should fish and/where we should head? Prob going to try and find a solid temp change somewhere before putting any lures out. I heard the water is still green 15 mile out but apparently there isn't much out wide.

We are going in inter club in a few weeks so wouldn't mind a few marlin under our belts between now and then.

Any thoughts/reports?

Hi Crusher,

We are up at Port & are chartering today through till Friday & we will be fishing the Shootout on the weekend. Today we are having a look in close from the heads through to Seal Rocks. The fishing has been pretty slow since that rain & reports of 35 boats up at Seal Rocks during the week with 6 fish being caught aren't great numbers - however they are there. My guess would be as rodlox says - out from Broughton probabaly out to 50-60 fathoms north or south. I think you will do better away from the other boats if you can find solid bait - stick with it with some livies. The little blacks are very hard to get the lures to stick but if you livebait with no swivels, clips etc & use light gauge circles & light line you will have a much better conversion rate. The big boat traffic doesn't take long to spook the small blacks, try and find your own little honey hole & keep it to yourself!

Good luck

Cheers

Damo

damo,

my hat goes off to you....... youre a charter operator, and even without someone handing over their hard earned youre still willing o give hints and tricks, to what is essentially someone who isnt gonna fish with you if they can get their own......

bravo mate...... when i save some coin up, me and a mate will be coming on a trip with you for sure.......

Hi Crusher,

We are up at Port & are chartering today through till Friday & we will be fishing the Shootout on the weekend. Today we are having a look in close from the heads through to Seal Rocks. The fishing has been pretty slow since that rain & reports of 35 boats up at Seal Rocks during the week with 6 fish being caught aren't great numbers - however they are there. My guess would be as rodlox says - out from Broughton probabaly out to 50-60 fathoms north or south. I think you will do better away from the other boats if you can find solid bait - stick with it with some livies. The little blacks are very hard to get the lures to stick but if you livebait with no swivels, clips etc & use light gauge circles & light line you will have a much better conversion rate. The big boat traffic doesn't take long to spook the small blacks, try and find your own little honey hole & keep it to yourself!

Good luck

Cheers

Damo

Your a gentleman Damo, not many pro's give out tips especially in their own neighbour hood. Regards Jeff

damo,

my hat goes off to you....... youre a charter operator, and even without someone handing over their hard earned youre still willing o give hints and tricks, to what is essentially someone who isnt gonna fish with you if they can get their own......

bravo mate...... when i save some coin up, me and a mate will be coming on a trip with you for sure.......

I agree with reyzor!!! That type of info from a charter is unprecedented. I will get a crew for chartering by seasons end and so should all raiders!!! Thanks heaps,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Crusher,

We fished there last week. Did the long run up to Seal as did 35 other boats....saw 2 little blacks caught but the water was fairly blueish so did the repeat run the next day. Into 15-20 NE all the way. Got there and the water was green as and all the bait had moved. Gave it an hour or so and went to lures to troll back towards Port. Got a little black just south of the Seal lighthouse and lost another one about a mile east of Broughton. Water stayed crappy green all the way but there was bait marking in lots of places. The fish were pretty small but fun on the silly string. Fishing the Shootout this weekend but will be trying for a big one out wide. Its still good to see the blacks back at port, I think we are all sick of going to the car park.