Polycraft info

srudds100386

Hi all,

I have just picked up a 2nd hand polycraft 455 frontrunner and i'm about to start fitting it out.

I have a couple of questions and it would be great if anyone who has worked on these boats could help me out.

1st question is regarding screwing into the plastic - do you drill a pilot hole first? or can you just screw straight into it? my guess would be to drill small pilot hole and use a screw with a high gauge?

2nd question - when screwing something onto the outer shell (bilge for live bait tank) do you need to use any sealant? or is the screw already watertight?

3rd question relates to the photos - i already had this downrigger from my old boat. Does the mounting location look OK? it's the only place i can think of putting it without removing the rails. The downrigger can be removed as there is a seperate mounting plate so i will still be able to access the fuel cap. Will screws be strong enough to hold it?

Cheers,

Sean

post-20704-0-52417300-1360753606_thumb.jpeg

post-20704-0-89052400-1360753634_thumb.jpeg

Hi all,

I have just picked up a 2nd hand polycraft 455 frontrunner and i'm about to start fitting it out.

I have a couple of questions and it would be great if anyone who has worked on these boats could help me out.

1st question is regarding screwing into the plastic - do you drill a pilot hole first? or can you just screw straight into it? my guess would be to drill small pilot hole and use a screw with a high gauge?

2nd question - when screwing something onto the outer shell (bilge for live bait tank) do you need to use any sealant? or is the screw already watertight?

3rd question relates to the photos - i already had this downrigger from my old boat. Does the mounting location look OK? it's the only place i can think of putting it without removing the rails. The downrigger can be removed as there is a seperate mounting plate so i will still be able to access the fuel cap. Will screws be strong enough to hold it?

Cheers,

Sean

1. Yes a pilot hole is necessary. You can screw straight in but it takes a bit to get going.

2. I have been told that i should use a sealant called Lexel on the Poly but i have never found it anywhere. Sikaflex works fine though and goes on everything i screw into the hull.

3. Cant answer.

The great thing with the Poly is when you move something and get left with screw holes you just put a bit of plastic swarf into the hole, warm it up with a heat gun and smooth it out.

Dave