Importing a new outboard from the US

Croydon

Is it possible the Etec is still suffering from fallout after the huge FICT disaster that killed off OMC? It would be a shame as BRP and Merc have both got their DI technology sorted out rather nicely. Personally I like the lightweight of Di engines but of course they aren't as quiet as 4 strokes. Horses for courses I guess.

Huey

Bit off the topic here but since you touched base on the corrosion topic, id like to ask you a question. Is it true that US built outboard engines have better anti-corrosion properties than japanese four stroke outboard engines?

HI, on the corrosion fron the US made engines have a better track record tof survivng in salt water and why you see alot more older US made engines than Japenese ones. As for the EMM, we have replaced very few and again I wonder where this info comes from but I know for FACT one brand, other than the brand we choose to stock ,had a recall on ECUs so what I see daily differs from some people opinions.

As I said the experinced dealers around Oz tend to be BRP dealers and selling other clean technology outboard is beneficital to a dealer due to amount of money they make in servicing that engine at 3 monhts then every 12 months, but again I guess these companies, like us have learnt nothing in 30,40 or even 50 years of operation-the "johnny come lately" dealers tend to grab anything they can in terms of boats or outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

There are other DI 2 strokes out there, namely the Tohatsu TLDI and the Optimax. They both use the same

Australian developed technology whereby a compressor is used to force air mixed with fuel into the engine

at low pressure. Tohatsu claim this system creates less stress on components than the high pressure system

used in the ETEC. They also claim that fuel economy is better than the ETEC due to a better (finer) fuel/ air

mix. In fact the Opti/ TLDI use less fuel than a lot of 4 strokes.

There seems to be something to this as far as I can acertain the OPti/ TLDI's to seem to have less problems

than the ETEC.

Hi, yes there are many forms of DI but we have had compressor and belts fail on the brands you mentioned, let alone the recall on injectors from one brand, the tracker value failures, the fuel rail problems and the BIG coil issues they have. As I say to everyone all clean engine use about the same amount of fuel after a days boating but the facts are at low speed there is not a more fuel efficient engine than an E-TEC. Take the V6 range they idle on 0.7L/hr so anyone with a V6 4-Stroke or OPTI next time you are out in the boat see what that engine idles at and I can guarentee it will be about twice that amount of fuel and the facts are outboard spend alot fo time at low speeds. As for fuel prssure the Evinurde fuel pessure running around the block is ALOT less than other DIs so less chance of fuel lekas and therfore explosions and as I mentioned the single cylinder littler engine (compressor) that is needed to run the orbitial based system is just another thing to go wrong, run without oil and what we see alot of, the water passages in this "small powerhead" block up and cause the compressor to overheat or worse fail and they are not cheap.

As was mentioned the original poster, what ever he decides to do, will most likely have a good engine that will give him years of enjoyment and he will most liekly not need to worry about warranty becasue I know for a fact in the 103 years of Evinrude outboards the warranty claim rate today is the lowest it has ever been so with that sort of longevity in a brand that to me says they are doing something right even with what the EPA has forced on this industry, but again that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Huey.

HI, on the corrosion fron the US made engines have a better track record tof survivng in salt water and why you see alot more older US made engines than Japenese ones. As for the EMM, we have replaced very few and again I wonder where this info comes from but I know for FACT one brand, other than the brand we choose to stock ,had a recall on ECUs so what I see daily differs from some people opinions.

As I said the experinced dealers around Oz tend to be BRP dealers and selling other clean technology outboard is beneficital to a dealer due to amount of money they make in servicing that engine at 3 monhts then every 12 months, but again I guess these companies, like us have learnt nothing in 30,40 or even 50 years of operation-the "johnny come lately" dealers tend to grab anything they can in terms of boats or outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

to be fair the three months service is normally free ive never paid for a first service on any engine ive bought

and unless mechanically competent any outboard needs to be looked at every twelve months by a service person

prop off and seals checked re grease the spline etc

fuel filters and lines checked

all pivot points greased and so on

also any decent mechanic will also check over the trailer and include the trailer in the service, well at least check the lights and check the bearings.

my understanding and happy to be corrected is etecs just run a oversized gearbox allowing more oil which allows greater service intervals

and they run a nikasil bore which allows the no run in period to occur

one bit that confuses me though is i run brp rotax kart engines with nikasil bores and i still have to run those in, if you dont we only get 5-10 instead of 20 hours out of a piston and rings

Edited by Juggs

HI, you are missing the point about the service requirements and personally I do not know of dealers that will do the first service for free unless it is factored in the price initally, but if you have never paid for one good on you. All engines need home care, no matter what brand or technology but with all brands, except one, you need to do a dealer service at three months and 12 months and some brands require the dealer to go on line and record this for further warranty coverage. All that you listed should be done before 12 months with any brand and every three odd months all this stuff can be done by a handyman at home and should be which is what we say to all our customers. The simple facts are you can service an E-TEC every 2 weeks (at home or at a dealers) if you want to but you do not need to do a dealer service till 3 years or 300 hours and the warranty will still be in placce. Trust me if any other brand is not looked at by a ceritfied dealer until 3 years, then warranty may be a problem if needed and yes the boat, trailer should be checked but again all this is not rocket science.

The bores are not nikasil and the honing process and material of the piston is what allows them to have no "break-in" period in the traditional scese that most people understand. I have seen with my own eyes (not sure how many owners or even dealers have gone to where their outboards are made) this prcoces twice of this and BRP run ALL their new outboards at ALL rpm for extended time in test tanks-again I have seen this with my own eyes twice and to my knowledge no other brand does that QC before the engines are shipped around the world. As for the gearcase, yes they are overengineered for what they are required to do and with the HPF-pro oil they can easily last this service requirements and the simple facts are, the average recreational user does about 150 hours every three years so no problem there either. Yes of course commercial users and the ones we service we reccomend to change the oil more regularly depending on usage because they treat their outboard a bit differently to you and me. Again, if you actually own an Evinrude you can service it whenever you like, it is your engine but the point is you DO NOT have to to get the best 5 year non declining factory backed warranty.

The people at BRP, that make all sorts of powerheads using both designs of combustion, are very switched on people and what I have seen, again with my own eyes, at Sturtevent and Valcourt that may or may not make it to market is VERY impressive.

Cheers,

Huey.

Let's keep this on topic please guys and original post below.

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about repowering the 560C barcrusher with a new outboard, either a 115hp Yamaha or 140hp Suzuki 4 stroke. However the price locally is quite steep considering what they cost in the US. Has anyone looked at or had experience with importing a new outboard from overseas. I've made contact with the site sponsor Wye River Marine, who were very helpful but unable to assist.

Just toying with the idea at the moment as I don't know if the potential saving is worth the risk/effort as there is no warranty for grey imports in Australia.

So, does anyone out there have any info or experience to offer. Thanks.........

Dave

Huey

The problems you are talking about with the other brands DI engines, are you talking about earlier model engines or current model engines?

Hi, I have seen it on earlier model and latter model outboards because the basis of how they get the fuel into the combustion chamber has not really changed from when Ralph developed it back in the day. Yes with recalls, service bulletins etc, the good companies put these out to dealers becasue they are always looking to improve their product (as they should)and trust me they ALL learn from what happens in the real world especially in extreme environments like we have here.

Do not get me wrong, a 2013 model(even though they have not had model years for a while) OPTI is a superior engine to a 1998 model just like a 2013 model E-TEC and a 2013 model 4-Stroke is a better outboard than a ten year old one . This is why I say all new outboards today are good and they have come a very long way in a very short space of time due to our friends at the EPA.

Cheers,

Huey.

Let's keep this on topic please guys and original post below.

Hi, I agree with Leo, this topic has got way of base and if anyone would like to learn or discuss more feel free to call me. I am guilty of this thread wander and I hope Dave has learnt a bit and can make an educated decesion if he decides to import an outboard, either new or old.

Cheers,

Huey.