New to braid

cameldownunder

Hi all fishraiders

I got myself 150m of braid, as I think this might improve things on the lure fishing side. Normally always using Mono.

My question is: How do I spool it on? and how to tie it up to the mono leader.

My idea is: depending on the reel, a bit of strong mono backing, then 1/2 of the braid with a double blood knot (as I want to rig up 2 reels with it), then again with a double blood knot tie the Fluorocarbon leader to the braid.

On top of that I also would like to ask: is it ok to have a barrel swivel on the mono, so I can change lures fairly quick, or should I redo a say Rapala Knot every time I change the lure?

Thanks

Hi Mate,

If it were me, I would only put on enough backing mono (whatever LB you want, to take the full 150m of Braid on one reel.

That said, there is no reason why you couldn't split it to use on two reels.

I would use either a uni to uni or Albright knot to connect the mono to the braid line.

I would also use an Albright knot to tie the flouro leader to the braid line.

Regarding the swivel, i wouldn't use one. Use a Leftys Loop knot to tie your lures on. They're easy to tie and swap lures quickly.

You could use round snaps, I used to, but use the Leftys Loop knot now.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mate, If it were me, I would only put on enough backing mono (whatever LB you want, to take the full 150m of Braid on one reel. That said, there is no reason why you couldn't split it to use on two reels. I would use either a uni to uni or Albright knot to connect the mono to the braid line. I would also use an Albright knot to tie the flouro leader to the braid line. Regarding the swivel, i wouldn't use one. Use a Leftys Loop knot to tie your lures on. They're easy to tie and swap lures quickly. You could use round snaps, I used to, but use the Leftys Loop knot now. Hope this helps!

Pretty good advice.

Cheers,

Grant.

Mate

I made the Massive mistake of trying to tie a mono backing on my reel when I first started and all I can say is don't, whatever knot you tie never comes off the reel properly, it gets caught. I have done this and I am happy to warn others, I thought it would be cheaper and would work OK but it was horrible to had to strip off all that braid after my first trip and throw it away. I would say either just buy another spool of braid or I actually keep 1 rod with mono as I normally 'lend' this one to friends or the Mrs. Also, for some fishing I prefer the mono, squid and Flathead if they're not too shy.

Good Luck

Mate

I made the Massive mistake of trying to tie a mono backing on my reel when I first started and all I can say is don't, whatever knot you tie never comes off the reel properly, it gets caught. I have done this and I am happy to warn others, I thought it would be cheaper and would work OK but it was horrible to had to strip off all that braid after my first trip and throw it away. I would say either just buy another spool of braid or I actually keep 1 rod with mono as I normally 'lend' this one to friends or the Mrs. Also, for some fishing I prefer the mono, squid and Flathead if they're not too shy.

Good Luck

Now that you say it ... I had, not too long ago, a few casts with one of my outfit, and the cast always went wrong. I could not see why, till I saw that inzy tiny knot in the line, which -as you say- didnt let the line come off properly.

So I will follow your advice, spool only 1 reel with the mono, no backing, and if I like the result, i might get another spool of braid for the other outfit. Thanks.

If you do not tie on a mono backing, the braid will not fill the spool. when you are casting the braid will hit the lip and slow your cast down. Also for connecting mono to braid, the albright knot is the most UNreliable knot there is!!

Use a double blood knot!

a lot of people might disagree with me but I have had so many albright knots fail ...

If you do not tie on a mono backing, the braid will not fill the spool. when you are casting the braid will hit the lip and slow your cast down. Also for connecting mono to braid, the albright knot is the most UNreliable knot there is!!

Use a double blood knot!

a lot of people might disagree with me but I have had so many albright knots fail ...

It's interesting how we prefer knots over other knots.

I used to tie a uni to uni knot, which was great, but I found not always reliable, would often snap when testing after tying.

That's why I switched to the Albright knot. I've not had an Albright fail me, so I guess with knots it's really down to what you prefer, I think they all can work.

As for the braid with mono backing, I agree, you need it to fill the spool up, unless of course you buy 300 yards.

Edited by foolforjesus

Use mono backing. It is a must.

If you don't then the braid will slip on the spool & it

won't spool up correctly.

As for knots stick with what works for you.

You will find that different knots work with different types of braid.

The improved albright is fine for backing & heavier line.

I use the slim beauty or uni to uni in light line, but that's my choice.

Use the 150 mtr of braid on one spool only. Buy another 150 mtr for

your other reel.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Guys.. i have a 2500 sized reel.. i plan to spool it with 150 yards of braid.

I am going to back it with mono first, but how much mono do i need? is there a trick to determine how to put enough mono in order to use the whole 150yards of braid?

I suppose i could put all the braid on first, then the mono until it is full... then take it off and mono first, braid second?

Regards

Hi Guys.. i have a 2500 sized reel.. i plan to spool it with 150 yards of braid.

I am going to back it with mono first, but how much mono do i need? is there a trick to determine how to put enough mono in order to use the whole 150yards of braid?

I suppose i could put all the braid on first, then the mono until it is full... then take it off and mono first, braid second?

Regards

I have a 2500 stradic FJ spooled with 150 yards 6lb Sufix 832 ghost braid and have had no problems casting or getting spooled.

The spool looks and feels full, the only thing i add to it is a leader and that's it.

Don't really see a need to have mono backing when you think about the target fish you catch with a 2500 reel. Would love to see a Bonito strip 150 yards off the stradic when i can almost skull drag the sucker in. Rat kings give me more of a fight but the braid has yet to get stripped. But the main staple of fish that the 2500 targets barely take anything, add on the casting distance and you probably have 90 or so yards to spare for the fish to take....if you let it :D

Casting wise, metals fly forever and plastics go where i want them to go.

It's nice to have reels made to accommodate braids these days, don't see why people would want to mono back braiding, but to each their own i suppose.

The reason you need mono backing is because under heavy load, when fighting a good fish, the braid can slip on the spool which can cause line to come off the spool under uneven pressure. Agreed that there is not much chance of a bonnie or whatever stripping 150m+ of line, but it does help to add a small amount of mono to prevent the line slipping. You only need to use about 10 or 20 metres of mono - just enough to cover the spool a few times before filling with braid. Another option is to wrap the spool once or twice with masking tape before filling with braid, this way you will not need the mono backing and your braid won't slip on the spool.

Pat

I've heard of that Braid slipping thing but have not experienced it myself, all my braided reels are spooled directly onto the spool with no backing so fingers crossed that it doesn't happen because re-spooling is a pain in the backside.

Don't think i will have trouble with the 2500 slipping unless i hook onto a monster :D

8LB will fill up nicely, but if you want to put backing on then you can probably have roughly 30-50 yards of mono and then 150yards of 8lb braid.

Im also recently new to using braid. So would you say the majority of people use the albright knot to tie their mono/flourocarbon leaders to their braid.

Would this knot be stronger than just tieing your braid to one side of a swivel and tieing your mono on the other side of the swivel?

Im also recently new to using braid. So would you say the majority of people use the albright knot to tie their mono/flourocarbon leaders to their braid.

Would this knot be stronger than just tieing your braid to one side of a swivel and tieing your mono on the other side of the swivel?

You can, but you don't want a sinker running up & down on your braid

if bait fishing.

When lure fishing it just doesn't look as natural & will affect your strike rate.

Cheers,

Grant.