So close but to far.

jaysondanielgraham

Went for a fish on Thursday night with 2 other raiders and great guys, Tan and Kent. We got down to Windang around 10pm or so with a slight breeze (20 kph) or around. This made fishing a little hard but still managed to land a few fish. Also gave Tan's mum a few flattys as she really likes them on the table.

Over the next hour hardly any fish where landed with the the tie starting to go slack. Noticed that their was another gentleman getting stuck in to some inkers so went over to have a look. Saw a massive school of squid maybe a few hundred. So on with a jigg to join old mate in the action.

Over the next 40 min or so he landed 13, Kent 1 and me 7.

Tide started to run back in and the squid started to go of the bite so back on with the plastics to case flattys again this time it started of slow and picked up with fish after fish by the end. I bagged out with 10 good size flattys but Kent was struggling to land flattys so back in goes the plastic. 3 more come in and straight to Kents bag and ends up with 4 for the night and Tan did well for him self.

Now for the so close but so far part.

Was cleaning the catch yesterday morning when I notices something strange about one of the flattys.

After a closer look noticed a tag hanging out of the fishes back.

Once a year the local radio station tags 5 fish and releases them back in to the lake and if you catch in it is worth a new tinny package or $5000.

You little ripper I am out my back yard going on like a mad man jumping and hollering and so on. Heart is pumping so excited thinking about me and my new tinny. Call the radio station only for the lady to say "that someone claimed it last weekend".

I am gutted but the lady end up saying their is a runners up prize. So I ask "what is it"and her reply is " two nice flatty fillets" lol.

Any way a great night with two mates that I made through fishraider and hopefully many more to come.

post-20633-0-12446700-1361582245_thumb.jpg

post-20633-0-25444700-1361582282_thumb.jpg

post-20633-0-70132300-1361582305_thumb.jpg

post-20633-0-84697900-1361582334_thumb.jpg

Super bad luck mate, so close to getting it. Gotta laugh at the radio station's response. Were the squid under the lights off bridge?

Yeah manhands had a laugh later after I got over the dissapointment. The squid where hanging around under the bridge in the light easy to see and easy to target

Damn jayson your killing the flatties.

Unbelievable you actually caught the tagged flatty.

I wonder how the previous winner collected his prize without the tag? Alan

Yeah Alan was a shock to me that did catch a tagged fish wonder what the odds are. Their was five fish tagged 3 bream and 2 flathead. And the winner got the other flatty and good luck to him. Maybe next year!

Edited by jaysondanielgraham

Nice haul of fish there mate.

Too bad missing out on the tinnie though.

The radio stations reply made me remember 12 years ago when I called up the tax office and asked what I got for my $6500 stamp duty

On my house purchase? The taxman laughed and said" a receipt", I had to laugh.

Cheers

Paddy

Nice haul of fish there mate.

Too bad missing out on the tinnie though.

The radio stations reply made me remember 12 years ago when I called up the tax office and asked what I got for my $6500 stamp duty

On my house purchase? The taxman laughed and said" a receipt", I had to laugh.

Cheers

Paddy

LoL that is a good one. Well I will give it another crack next year.

Mate we gotta do it again

Had a blast

Still feel bad for you espescially how you already planned on getting the lox rod like mine with the prizemoney haha

At least I'm getting better at it

6 flatties for me so it's a pb there

Mate we gotta do it again

Had a blast

Still feel bad for you espescially how you already planned on getting the lox rod like mine with the prizemoney haha

At least I'm getting better at it

6 flatties for me so it's a pb there

did you end up measuring your bigger ones?

Yeah mate their is always next time. Yeah 6 is good your mum would love it. Next time put Kent on to more hopefully. Didn't get lengths but around 50cm I am thinking.

Yeah mate their is always next time. Yeah 6 is good your mum would love it. Next time put Kent on to more hopefully. Didn't get lengths but around 50cm I am thinking.

well that made 8

Gave two to my fiancees mum

Yeah but he finally landed one after our trips

Most of mine were between 43-46cm so I reckon you had some 50+ ones there

Great catch, hard luck on taking the winning.

Are you going to eat the squid to throw them back in for something bigger one day..... make great Jew baits.... Catching a 1m Jew would help make up for the $5k loss.

Mate I have all ready smashed the squid hoods but keep the heads and flaps for bait. Yeah maybe a nice Jew or king, crossing fingers.

It's more than 5 tagged fish, they tag and release roughly 5 a day to increase the chance of winning the prize as the days go by. They tag your usual bread and butter fish and the occasional Jew just for kicks.

Winner is the first person to claim.

I know a guy who caught, ate and disposed of the left-overs (tag included) the first year they started doing the promo. We had no idea it was a prize fish until the old man told us of rumors of a competition starting up. They had released the first fish for photo's for the promo which had not started yet and the bugger was caught before it even started.

Jason you missed it by a week, imagine knowing you won it a month in advance but threw it away :D

It's more than 5 tagged fish, they tag and release roughly 5 a day to increase the chance of winning the prize as the days go by. They tag your usual bread and butter fish and the occasional Jew just for kicks.

Winner is the first person to claim.

I know a guy who caught, ate and disposed of the left-overs (tag included) the first year they started doing the promo. We had no idea it was a prize fish until the old man told us of rumors of a competition starting up. They had released the first fish for photo's for the promo which had not started yet and the bugger was caught before it even started.

Jason you missed it by a week, imagine knowing you won it a month in advance but threw it away :D

Hay mate that sucks. Was it the best tasting flatty like mine was lol.