Whats a good surf/rock set-up

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hi guys after foshing creeks and using small 1-3 kg gear I want to get into beach and rock fishing a bit more ive done it before with no success. I cant seem to cast the bloddy things far enough, the set-up I was using was a shimano aero wave and a baitrunner reel with 40lb braid. Using a variety of sinkers etc I still cant cast the thing far enough.

My brother who owns the rod can just sling shot it straight into the surf yet I cant seem to.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what sort of reel and rod/line and rigs I can be using to sling shot some bait and lures out into the surf. Something that's easy to use. Money isn't really an issue just a max of $500 or so.

Hi mate, it sort of depends on your target species, but for bait fishing a longer rod around 12' is about right. Reel size and line strength depends on what you're fishing for but a threadline reel is almost always easier to use especially when you're still getting used to it. If you're fishing for tailor, salmon, bonito etc a 3000-4000 reel loaded with 15-20lb braid is about right. Good quality braid makes casting longer distances much easier.

For heavier baitfishing you may need to beef up your gear to a 6000-8000 size threadline with 30lb+ braid. This is only really necessary when livebaiting for jews or fishing in very unforgiving terrain.

Similar reel size and line strength works well for lurefishing, but shorter rods make things much more comfortable. I find a 9-10' rod works well for spinning metals from the stones and this sort of setup can also be used to chuck soft plastics or other lures around the washes.

cheers,

Pat

Give alvey a go... It takes a little getting used to, but shortly turns into a Love affair...

Get yourself something like a 600BC with 300m 5kg platypus Low stretch or any other low stretch line, I think the reel and line will set you back about $150, and get your self a 3-5kg Bruce alvey special, they're under $100.

Make sure you watch the DVD that comes with all alvey reels.

Fishingphase

Hi guys after foshing creeks and using small 1-3 kg gear I want to get into beach and rock fishing a bit more ive done it before with no success. I cant seem to cast the bloddy things far enough, the set-up I was using was a shimano aero wave and a baitrunner reel with 40lb braid. Using a variety of sinkers etc I still cant cast the thing far enough.

My brother who owns the rod can just sling shot it straight into the surf yet I cant seem to.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what sort of reel and rod/line and rigs I can be using to sling shot some bait and lures out into the surf. Something that's easy to use. Money isn't really an issue just a max of $500 or so.

Seeing money isn't an issue, if you're going off the beach get yourself a good surfcasting reel and match it with a nice surfcasting rod, like 14 foot. Do some research for yourself, maybe better to buy overseas and get it shipped, I use multipliers so I can't recommend a specific eggbeater outfit.

10-15lb braid line with the right gear will go 100 yards with the easy cast. You need to use a heavy shock leader for surfcasting at least 10lbs for every ounce of sinker. Look at using a rig clip so your gear is streamline when you cast, I like the pulley pennel rig off the beach myself.

Edited by LWA

If rock fishing, casting a mile isn't always going to catch you fish. many times i have literally dangled bait at my feet and caught very nice drummers, bream, trevally etc. Although if catching snapper of the rocks then the ability to cast into sand patches is required.

G'day mate,

Have to agree with the Alvey advice. Takes a trip or two to get used to but can handle anything from the beach and rocks. I use my dads old 650a5 surf champion on the beach and rocks, can with stand the roughest conditions/treatment the sand and stones can throw at it. If you decide on an Alvey the biggest question will be to get one with drag or not and theres positives and negatives to both, but either way you'll have a ball using them. You can get a 650b with a surf champion Alvey rod for about $160, thats a reel without drag or something like a 650c5 (a drag model) with a low mount rod of your choice from about $250 depending the rod you get.

Anyway hope you find something that allows you success on the beach and rocks.

Edited by SMn

Guest mike2153

So do alvey make good combos? I wan tone with a drag I think ill have to do so research on these rods now but I want to give one a go.

The combos are pretty basic and good to get used to, but a part from the Bruce Alvey special the rods can be a bit limited; at least that's what I have found with my 650 surf champion rod. I have heard good things about wilson live fiber, Gary Howard and Synder glas rods as well, however, the rod must be a low mount with the first guide half way up the rod. My rod of choice is an old len butterworth my grandad gave me, it's perfect.

Alvey's with a drag that I would recommend are the 650c5 or the 650berr rockhopper. These are the reels I have the most experience with in terms of drag and handle any fish in any circumstances. There is for me a slight advantage with the 650berr as the handles are directly on the spool giving excellent winching power up rock faces, as well as a rapid retrieve handle. In having said that though I always take 2 reels for beach and rock and the old 650a5 (no drag) always comes along as I have it spooled with lighter line. This reel has the metal back but is essentially the same as the 650b (no drag) model which is graphite backed. The 650b with a rod combo is about $160 from memory and a great combo to learn on. I like the 650 size reels but 600 and 700 size reels are good for beach and rocks as well. Check out the Alvey website for all the different makes and sizes, also there are vids on youtube that show how to cast and so on.

If there's anything you come across you have questions about just ask, there's a few Alvey addicts on here who are great for advice and tips.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

maybe first thing to do is to take your brothers set up to the park to practise cause if he can cast it, it's not going to make that much of a difference by getting a different brand rod & reel to the shimano, you may still have the same problem. I use a number of set ups and if holding a heavy rod is a concern of yours, you could try the the 12ft silstar crystal blue / crystal power tip rated @ 8-12kg yet sensitive enough to feel bream bite and quite light. They are quite wippy and can cast a mile. I have my own pref. for reels,i like the daiwa emblem pro, okuma salina 11 10000 & 16000 which i use on a multitude of rods.

I'm not a bad caster but i was fishing with this guy once who had an overhead with a 9ft rod who outcast me. i couldn't believe my eyes ( just to throw another spanner in the worx)

cheers