Squid eating live yakkas

sam_chamoun93

Is it possible? Had a live yakka out this evening and this old fella was raving on about how I had to pin the yakkas in the tail because otherwise squid would eat them.

Anyway, had it pinned in the nose like usual, rod went nuts, reeled it in and old the head was left. Jagged bite marks and stringy bits of guts, do squid even have teeth?

Yeah mate squid love live yakkas, but pinning them thru the tail won't make a difference, they'll still get em. They haven't got teeth but they do have a beak. The bigger the squid, the bigger the beak! If you ever had a livey come back with the back of his neck/head missing, it's a squid!

Edited by mimyo

Is it possible? Had a live yakka out this evening and this old fella was raving on about how I had to pin the yakkas in the tail because otherwise squid would eat them.

Anyway, had it pinned in the nose like usual, rod went nuts, reeled it in and old the head was left. Jagged bite marks and stringy bits of guts, do squid even have teeth?

Sounds like your yakka got bitten off by a big tailor... You'll know if your yakkas been hit by squid, in most instances I've expirienced they eaten the eyes out first , next sign is a succession of small bite marks...unless its a BIG cuttlefish .

Fishingphase

Guest Aussie007

squids beaks are only small they take a small bite out of the yakka as mentioned just behind the eyes on top of the fishes back, if your yakka was stripped it could have been anything even a jew fish are smart if u hook a yakka thru the nose they'll bite the yakkas back half off

u will see your rod tugging gently when a squid is going at your yakka

I actually put a 6/0 hook on my 6lb braid and pinned a yakka with it and lobbed it out down at a wharf one day....it was the only rod/reel I had on me at the time...when I brought it back in the squid was latched on tight and was having a good old munch and came out of the water with my yakka...shoulda pinned the squid and thrown it back but 6lb braid is not really a good matchup for anything you'd catch on a 6/0 .... Especially being a <500 size reel...yet we did catch a Jew on the same rod/reel on a servo prawn and whiting rig not long ago....sometimes you just don't know..

As others have said , squid love yakka but normally can only be caught if they get caught up on the hook or are too silly to let go when the line is being retreived.

If loosing yakka to squid I use this rig. It allows the yakka to be hooked in which ever fassion you prefer but if a squid grabs the yakka there is a very good chance it will get caught on the barbs.

post-731-0-79032100-1362522190_thumb.jpg

Squid also like prawns so , if actually fishing for squid , here is an option , other than using a squid jig

post-731-0-92794900-1362522532_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

yeah squid sure do eat live yakka's! this came up when i was downrigging though the harbour about a month ago.

are u sure that was a squid? i have to say ive never seen a squid strip a yakka like that i would guess it was leather jackets or some type of bait fish what did your leader look like and how long was it down/how many passes did u do with this one yakka down there?

As others have said , squid love yakka but normally can only be caught if they get caught up on the hook or are too silly to let go when the line is being retreived.

If loosing yakka to squid I use this rig. It allows the yakka to be hooked in which ever fassion you prefer but if a squid grabs the yakka there is a very good chance it will get caught on the barbs.

attachicon.gifSquid jig for livies.jpg

Hi Geoff

where did you get the short bait jig (in the 1st photo) - if I go to a shop, what do I call it?

are u sure that was a squid? i have to say ive never seen a squid strip a yakka like that i would guess it was leather jackets or some type of bait fish what did your leader look like and how long was it down/how many passes did u do with this one yakka down there?

I'm pretty sure it was because i threw a squid jig in the same spot just after thet and hooked into a nice squid... savage little buggers!

Hi Geoff

where did you get the short bait jig (in the 1st photo) - if I go to a shop, what do I call it?

It's the standard jig as shown in the photo below but with the stem cut off.

I made the trace with the hook / swivel & then feed the line between the barbs attaching the line to the jig using small (75mm) white cable ties.

The ties are a bit hard to see in the photo but they are there , one each , just above the pink collers

Geoff

post-731-0-57722300-1362600260_thumb.jpg

Geoff - you are a wonder. We've been having squid attack our yakkas and letting go 3 m from the boat - and even coming back for another go if we lowered the yakka. But they only go for live ones - so the spike thru the yakka doesn't work. I'll be making a couple of your rigs for my next trip. You should approach a tackle manufacturer - perhaps you could get a few $ for the idea!!!

I made the trace with the hook / swivel & then feed the line between the barbs attaching the line to the jig using small (75mm) white cable ties.

Fantastic Geoff. Definately giving this a go because one particular area I fish is abundant with squid.

yamashita i think makes live bait squid rigs its a hook with a bit of dacron with a squid barbs on it

and i also remember adventure bound did a ep on them

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kingfisher84