LAKE ILLAWARRA BRIDGE

Guest stiffy

Guest stiffy

Hi guys

Any here fished under the bridge in side the mouth of lake Illawarra ??? I have a 11 foot tinny would like to give it a try on sunday any ideas ???

Thanks heaps

I fished from it ,under it, when it was a timber bridge. Even got hit by a car. But seriously stay close to the shore line it can be bloody dangerous if the wind comes up. That was back in the early 60's cheers Ron.

Caught heaps of blackfish off it using squirt worms as bait. Line was made up from bits and pieces tied together and wound onto a bottle. That was in the late 50s. The bridge was timber with the planks running across the roadway - made a hell of a noise when cars were on it. Later the planks were laid lengthways which was a lot quieter. But I've never fished under it in a boat. Take care as the current can really rip along.

Back in the 50's and 60's :P

Don't think the bridge has been referred to as Lake Illawarra Bridge for a while now, most people call it Windang bridge.

The guys were reminiscing back to the days when the bridge was built (think the early 40's) .

As for your question in regards to fishing there in your tinnie, there are 2 channels you can choose to fish. The main channel is at the northern end of the bridge and the other the southern end. Just anchor up 20m or so from the bridge but close to the middle sand bar and you can cast directly under the bridge. Good place to catch Bream.

Guest stiffy

Back in the 50's and 60's :P

Don't think the bridge has been referred to as Lake Illawarra Bridge for a while now, most people call it Windang bridge.

The guys were reminiscing back to the days when the bridge was built (think the early 40's) .

As for your question in regards to fishing there in your tinnie, there are 2 channels you can choose to fish. The main channel is at the northern end of the bridge and the other the southern end. Just anchor up 20m or so from the bridge but close to the middle sand bar and you can cast directly under the bridge. Good place to catch Bream.

ohh sorry i didnt konw they called it windang bridge.. i know for next time

does the water rip through there ??? will and 8hp be ok ???

Haven't seen any of the tinnies in there struggle and they have roughly the same HP, and the kayaks can drift up and down so it should be good.

If in doubt pick a time around the flat tide to get out :D

Any reason you chose the bridge? Lake illawarra has many other places to fish besides the bridge and that place gets congested on the weekends.

Edited by LungFai

Guest stiffy

Haven't seen any of the tinnies in there struggle and they have roughly the same HP, and the kayaks can drift up and down so it should be good.

If in doubt pick a time around the flat tide to get out :D

Any reason you chose the bridge? Lake illawarra has many other places to fish besides the bridge and that place gets congested on the weekends.

ok cool .. the bridge dont know saw there is a boat ramp there and ive seen pepole fish there before .. ive had reports from the lake and its never been good so im just wanted to give it ago my self so i thought the bridge will be the best spot ??

Was there today, you shouldn't have too much trouble, we got 20 odd fish but only 4 legal, a few different species too, very small snapper, bream , whiting, flathead, Taylor and a blue swimmer. My young fella got a nice fat 46 cm flattie on prawn, I got three around the 40 mark on blades. Couple of really good hits on plastics but couldn't set the hook, we fished just inside the main lake. Fantastic weather, don't forget the sunscreen!!

Edited by Fozzy

Guest stiffy

Was there today, you shouldn't have too much trouble, we got 20 odd fish but only 4 legal, a few different species too, very small snapper, bream , whiting, flathead, Taylor and a blue swimmer. My young fella got a nice fat 46 cm flattie on prawn, I got three around the 40 mark on blades. Couple of really good hits on plastics but couldn't set the hook, we fished just inside the main lake. Fantastic weather, don't forget the sunscreen!!

WOW you guys had a good day well done !! I need to give it a try