Spinning reel for father-in-law

SMn

G'day,

I am looking for a spinning reel for my other dad, who fishes mainly from a mates boat and occasionally off the rocks. My experience is generally with Alveys so spinners aren't my strong suit and as much as I'd like to I can't get him an Alvey or overhead.

Type: spinning reel, prefer bait runner capabilities, maybe around the 4000 size (if suitable), reasonable drag, handle braid and mono, light weight (aluminium???) and durable.

Style of fishing: bottom bashing around Port Hacking, Hawkesbury and rocks around Wollongong and Newcastle, but mainly Port Hacking.

Target: anything from whiting up to tailor, hairtail and a few of the slightly bigger species.

Price: $200 - $250 at an absolute stretch...

Wow after rereading the specs seems like I want everything! Hahaha! Any suggestions and advice would be hugely appreciated...

Thanks!

Mate, if I were you I would take Shimano Baitrunner 3500B or 4500B for him. I'm happy with these reels.

Andy

Thanks Andy, will check em out.

Has anyone used the Diawa Opus BRi (I think its called) model? He has never used a baitrunner type of reel though, I thought it would add another technique for him to try....

The Shimano Baitrunner 6000D and 4500B looks like very sturdy reels, how does the weight go at just over 1/2kg go on medium/high mounted rod in terms of holding for a reasonably amount of time fishing?

Edited by SMn

Thanks guys I'll check them out. Much appreciated! I have also been looking at the Daiwa Lexa but hard to find reviews online, I knkw it is not a baitrunner but full metal body...