Reel Corrosion

Cameron

I have two old Daiwa GS-6 spinning reels that have metal bodies, presumably some form of aluminium alloy. Both are showing signs of corrosion, with the paint bubbling in places. While I imagine that it would be next to impossible to match the existing paint, is there any way that the corrosion can be arrested and prevented from recurring? I imagine that the corrosion would need to be removed, the raw metal primed and then repainted. Are there any off the shelf products available that would be suitable for such a job?

Guest Jocool

I would say some of the outboard paints would be suitable. I assume they are black...If so give the Mercury paint a whirl. You should be able to get little touch up tins that would be more than sufficient for the job!

Guest hottuna

Cam the gold is going to be a tough one. Theres a product avail from automotive paint suppliers called......S#it i can remember (its too early in the morning) anyway its an acid and used on surface corrosion for motor vehicles. Its very easy to use. Failing that its like cancer and alomst impossible to get completely rid of. Give it a good squirt of "inox" and comtinue using the reel. It`ll should still last ages

dan