First overhead rod and reel

benm

Hi fishraiders,

I have long been using spinning reels, more rock fishing than anything else. I recently purchased a kayak (for offshore use) and have also been doing some deep blue fishing on a friend's boat so I would like to get myself a decent overhead combo. I am set on overhead as I would really like to learn how to use it properly. I will be targeting bigger fish, primarily kingfish, by jigging and trolling lures and downrigging live baits. Went to my favourite tackle shop today and they recommended the following setup...

Reel:
Daiwa Saltist LW (Model: STT LW30HA), Gear Ratio: 6.1, Drag: 7kg
$299.00

Rod:
Daiwa Monster Mesh Max (Model: MXB 531-300), Jig Size: 300g, Line Rating: PE 6 – 8
$199.00

Line:
Braid - Power Pro Depth Hunter 50 lb 500 yards
$89.95

Total: $587.95

Should this do fine? I would love any feedback at all before I make my purchase.

Cheers

Hi fishraiders,

I have long been using spinning reels, more rock fishing than anything else. I recently purchased a kayak (for offshore use) and have also been doing some deep blue fishing on a friend's boat so I would like to get myself a decent overhead combo. I am set on overhead as I would really like to learn how to use it properly. I will be targeting bigger fish, primarily kingfish, by jigging and trolling lures and downrigging live baits. Went to my favourite tackle shop today and they recommended the following setup...

Reel:

Daiwa Saltist LW (Model: STT LW30HA), Gear Ratio: 6.1, Drag: 7kg

$299.00

Rod:

Daiwa Monster Mesh Max (Model: MXB 531-300), Jig Size: 300g, Line Rating: PE 6 – 8

$199.00

Line:

Braid - Power Pro Depth Hunter 50 lb 500 yards

$89.95

Total: $587.95

Should this do fine? I would love any feedback at all before I make my purchase.

Cheers

The price of the rod is good, if you shop around you'll find the reel and braid cheaper. You'll probably need more like 10kg of drag, so maybe step up to the 40 size. The new monster mesh rods look really nice.

Fishingphase

The price of the rod is good, if you shop around you'll find the reel and braid cheaper. You'll probably need more like 10kg of drag, so maybe step up to the 40 size. The new monster mesh rods look really nice.

Fishingphase

Yeah, you are right. Also the gear ratio is better at 6.4. Looks like it is also the same price. Not sure where I can get it cheaper tho. Don't want second hand or an old make.

I recommend a shimano tyrnos 50L2. Just bought one fully spooled for $400. Will hold anything for kings to marlin. Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Are you refering to the Tyronos 2 Speed (TYR2SP50LRS)? The gear ratio is 4.0:1, I was looking for something a little faster for jigging. Looks like a beast tho, a lot bigger in size! That's an awesome price. What pound line did you get? Braid or mono?

Edited by nineworlds

the 30T will handle almost all but the biggest kingies the largest record kingie NZ caught from jetski is about 30kg .on a 30T & monster mesh, or just step up to a saltiga ,ya dont wont something to bulky.

Edited by Frantic

[quote name="nineworlds" post="474090" timestamp=

Are you refering to the Tyronos 2 Speed (TYR2SP50LRS)? The gear ratio is 4.0:1, I was looking for something a little faster for jigging. Looks like a beast tho, a lot bigger in size! That's an awesome price. What pound line did you get? Braid or mono?

Yeah, that's the one. 24kg mono brand new. The boys did look after me!

Good luck deciding.

Cheers scratchie!!!

the 30T will handle almost all but the biggest kingies the largest record kingie NZ caught from jetski is about 30kg .on a 30T & monster mesh, or just step up to a saltiga ,ya dont wont something to bulky.

Is the 30T the same as the 30HA? I know it doesn't have a level wind. Don't see much point in getting anything with more drag since I am in a kayak, it will act as a drag itself. If I use any more drag I will prob end up in the drink! Just looked up the Saltiga overhead and they are pretty expensive in comparrison.

Is the 30T the same as the 30HA? I know it doesn't have a level wind. Don't see much point in getting anything with more drag since I am in a kayak, it will act as a drag itself. If I use any more drag I will prob end up in the drink! Just looked up the Saltiga overhead and they are pretty expensive in comparrison.

Good point there, it also depends on you budget, also take into consideration, it could take a dip in the drink as well, so you wouldn't want to spend to much in that case.

Fishingphase

I was under the impression that a fast gear ratio would be better for jigging but upon further reading (looking through older posts) it seems many prefer the 4.x ratio over 6.x for jigging. The Saltist LW comes in both 4.9 and 6.1. Is there any real advantage of a faster gear ratio?

If kayaking spin gear is better if it gets a dunking.

Agreed with the rod choice but why the level wind with the star drag?

Lever drag would be easier.

Only looking at overhead since I don't own one and would like to learn how to use it properly. Have plenty of spin gear already.

If I got a lever drag, what would you recommend? I don't want something too bulky. Scratchie already recommended the Tyrnos 50 2 Speed, but that is huge.