lost my blade virginity

Hi all,

A few of you may know I SUCK with vibes/blades, never caught one fish on them. After speaking to a few people, they suggested using the TT lures (i was using flatshads).

Not that i think it mattered too much but i think the difference today was persistence. Its so easy to pull out old faithful lures when you dont get bites but i stuck to it today.

Managed 3 flatties at parra river, then the barometer fell. Switched to platics and managed a 32cm bream on a z man grubz. Nothing special but im more confident with the vibes now : )

Some other lures which have been working well for me lately are the Morry Kneebone 5 and 7cm in the dark green/spotted pattern, kokoda prawns, atomic plazos crayfish and the gulp grubs.

Enjoy the pics.

post-16847-0-55300400-1363687532_thumb.jpg

post-16847-0-94403700-1363687558_thumb.jpg

Watemelon Red #1 colour... Pulled jew, big bream, big flatties, perch and just about anything else that swims on that plastic! Bloodworm and motor oil are gun too...Pretty much the only plastics i use these days Z-man! The 1/8 TT Switchy (Switchblade) is a weapon on bream and flatties! Try out the TT ghostblades as well...

Cheers, Tom

Nice work Stan :thumbup:

I'm yet to catch anything decent on the blades, mainly the Strikepro ones. Even though I've got a few of them in the tackle box I'm a bit 'scared' to get them snagged..... there goes 15-20 bucks in a blink of an eye so I usually stick with the wallet friendly plastics. Yeah 100lb mono will get them back alright ... good one.

Any thoughts guys as to why the Watermelon Red Zman Grubz is a good producer? What natural bait is it supposed to imitate? I've tried the bloodworm and motor oil colours on a 1.5g #2 squidgy jig head with 6lb leader but have a poor striike rate :(

Thanks Guys and well done again Stan.

Ian

Ian,

To be honest, I'm not sure why watermelon red is so effective. Everything eats them! Bream in particular. Bloodworm and motor oil are also great colours. If your having trouble converting hits into fish, slow down your retrieve a little. This should help a but. Fish them on 1/12 jig heads with size 1 or 2 hook.

Keep at them because they are rapidly becoming one of the best bream plastics around!

Cheers, Tom

Hi Ian,

thanks for the comments. I actually think its a combination of colour and presentation which makes the z mans work well. because they float, they take a lot longer to get down and the tail swings in the current.

what kind of retrieve are you using?

Well done on ticking off the vibes Stan.

They tend to work well for me, though I try not using them because as others have said, they're expensive. Upside is that they're dead easy to use; no need for the same light hands as required for SP.

Wish I'd had as much success with poppers as I've had w/ vibes :1giveup:

Will have to give the z-mans a go soon too I reckon.

Thanks for the tips Guys and well done nbdhroom for your recent success, may it be the first of many for you!

Hi Tom, I know you speak so highly of the Zmans so I got a couple of packets myself, interestingly when I got them they were sold out of the watermelon red colour! ..... just goes to show it is a popular colour. I've had reasonable success with the 80cm squidgy wriggler in bloodworm on a 1.5g # 2 hook however the choppers make mince meat of these and it's a waste of time and money rigging up every few casts, hence I like the idea of the tougher Zmans, more time with a line in the water! I've been using the same 1.5g (approx 1/18) # 2 hook with the Grubz, given that they float do you think that this is too light and will not impart the desired fluttering effect on the drop? I note you recommend the 1/12, I'll get some of these and try them out. I'm fishing land based in water up to about 2m deep usually.

Hi Stan & Tom, I am fishing rather slowly with the Grubz, a small double hop every 10-15 seconds or so sometimes even longer and I have been applying some S Factor as well. I've also heard the saying "when you think you are fishing slowly slow it down some more" .... but how slow is too slow and if a plastic is just sitting stationary on the bottom it has no action so why would it be gobbled up at that time!

Bassboy, you are right the items in the tackle box are there to be used and good tip about testing out a new area with an SP first.

I will keep persisting with the Zmans!

Thanks heaps guys and have a top weekend.

All the best

Ian

Hi Ian,

I started off working them slowly while I was getting a feel for them. Now I use a double flick retrieve with a max 5 second pause. I find they often get hot on the drop so keep an eye on your line while it sinks. 1/18 is ok but I've tried all weights and I've settled on 1/12 TT tournament series jig heads for them. This is ideSl for me. Land based would e good with this too. The grubz are also great on flatties do fish them on a 1/8 for flatties.

Cheers, Ton

Thanks Tom, I'll give the 1/12 a go soon. With the slightly heavier jig I suppose I'll have more contact with the lure particularly on the drop and will see the 'tick' in the line better indicating a strike.

Have a good one.

Stan, apologies for hijacking your post though there's some good info here.

Take it easy.

Ian

Thanks Tom, I'll give the 1/12 a go soon. With the slightly heavier jig I suppose I'll have more contact with the lure particularly on the drop and will see the 'tick' in the line better indicating a strike.

Have a good one.

Stan, apologies for hijacking your post though there's some good info here.

Take it easy.

Ian

No probs Ian this is what its all about : )

I use the grubz with a 1/16th nitro head and if im fishing relatively clear water on a run out tide, i dead stick quite alot almost 10 seconds.

If your using a double hop on a 1/12 head, ive had heaps of success using this with the squidgy pro range evil minnow. This is a gun lure aswell.

Happy to show you some time mate, just shoot me a pm.

Cheers, Stan

If you guys do end up fishing together sometime, is it okay if I come along? I'm finding SP fishing is a pretty lonely sport but the rewards are well worth it. Ever since I cracked the SP code, I've been able to get bream on the z-mans grubz in watermelon and bloodworm, squidgie wrigglers in bloodworm (good for everything so far inc. pike, tailor) and gary glitter, kokoda b-grub in the dark brown colour (gun lure imo - I got my best flathead and bream so far on this one) and 3" squidgie fish in flash prawn. I think the 3" fish is a large lure for bream but they don't seem to limit the size of bream that will willingly give it a go. I've run out of them but I'd give them another shot.

If you guys do end up fishing together sometime, is it okay if I come along? I'm finding SP fishing is a pretty lonely sport but the rewards are well worth it. Ever since I cracked the SP code, I've been able to get bream on the z-mans grubz in watermelon and bloodworm, squidgie wrigglers in bloodworm (good for everything so far inc. pike, tailor) and gary glitter, kokoda b-grub in the dark brown colour (gun lure imo - I got my best flathead and bream so far on this one) and 3" squidgie fish in flash prawn. I think the 3" fish is a large lure for bream but they don't seem to limit the size of bream that will willingly give it a go. I've run out of them but I'd give them another shot.

no problem at all mate : )