Joining braid

Kooks

I recently got smoked by some large kings. I have about 150 of braid on my reel but it was down to the backing. As I already have some braid can I tie on some more?

What are the pros and cons?

I'm thinking if I buy a different colour I can back the drag off when I get close to the join. This will negate the loss of breaking strain.

I reckon that if you are using heavy braid (such as 40lb plus) for the kings a well tied knot in it won't be a big issue. Lets say that it reduced the breaking strain to 35lbs for arguments sake. There is no way you can pull 35lb through your rod and not many reels have 35lbs of drag. You don't need to be casting far (unless you are throwing poppers or plastics at them) so the knot won't be an issue in that regard. Backing the drag off when close to the join may not be a good idea as you will already have quite a bit of line out and that will give the fish the opportunity to take some more, increasing your chances of a bust off. A couple of the best kingie fishers I know lock up and hang on! I tried this last week and had a fish tow me backwards in the harbour and before I realised what was happening it was under the structure I was fishing at. It didn't get to take any string off the reel (a Fin Nor 650 which has massive drag capacity).

It will be interesting to read what others think.

Kel

11kgs of drag on 30lb line is PLENTY!!!!!!!

it's almost 1/2 the breaking strain of the line, you don't want to go any higher than that otherwise you risk snapping your rod (assuming the rod is matched to the line class)

yeh the rod is 8-10kg So roughly the same.

Yeah mate 30lbs is 13.6kgs so theoretically, your 8-10kg rod will snap before your braid does

i would be fishing 15-20lb line max on that rod with 5-6kgs of drag

if you need more than that because of the fish you're targeting, time for another setup!