New to site

Gibsonblues

Hi all ,

I have read a few topics covered and found the reading good to date and I am pleased I have somewhere to have the odd chat about the about the all loved present and past time pleasure of fishing.

As this is my first post and have just acquired another boat recently , I have a question to ask that hopefully someone of knowledge maybe able to assist with.

The new ( used) savage osprey 5.3 I have is a 1999 original outfit with a 90 hp ocean pro with 450 hours and the issue I have is that after flushing I get a oil drip between the prop and the LU that runs down the skeg. color is very black, fairly thin, and really doesn't have a strong odour like gearbox oil, not milky

I have tried searching this issue and have found the odd forum that states this can be a standard thing if all fuel and oil has not been burnt.

Also states that if it smells and is of milky appearance it's likely to be a gearbox problem.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Regards gibsonblues

If it's black it's not gearbox , but to confirm undo the bottom (not the top) gearbox drain screw , about half a tea spoon will come out then quickly replace the screw..

The colour should be a golden brown.

As you suggest , it will most likely be unburnt oil from the motor. Check the fuel / oil mix. It's possible too much oil or , oil / fuel is being injected into the motor.

What brand of oil are you using as this may be part of the problem

Geoff

Hi, you will want to make sure the fuel system is all secure and the engine can not suck air because if it does there will be a rich fuel/oil mix going to the carbies and then if you are using cheap oil and the engine is running cold that makes the problem even worse. If it was my boat, I would go over the whole fuel system very carefully making sure no chances of sucking air and even better I would replace all that old fuel line with good 3/8 fuel lines and fitting. With todays fuel the internals of the fuel line could be bad. Then I would use XD-100 after giving her a good dose of paower tune and then make sure the thermos are doing their johb at low speed and the engine is reaching the correct operating temp.

Of course checking the basics first would be worth doing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Geoff ,mate sadly enough I only took possession of the boat some weeks ago , the son of the previous owner is a marine mechanic and serviced the boat himself regularly( taken that conversation as the truth)

but I had a triple bypass 8 weeks ago ,2 weeks before my 50 th birthday and not been in the best shape to do anything. But this oil change is on my list to do as soon as I find out the correct or best to use i will do as you have said, it's a VRO and i have heard the whispers regarding the issues with the mixture

Do you recommend a specific oil for the Johnson

Cheers Gibbo

Gibbo , Huey has covered the possible problem areas. Perhaps make a list of the items to be checked or changed then go through them one at a time starting with the easiest first.

I would suggest ,

1. Check the gearbox. I don't think that is the problem area but needs to be elimated.

2. Change the oil. XD 100 or XD 50 are the best options otherwise , what ever Johnson reccomend for that motor. Avoid Valvoline & perhaps Castrol. Whilst they both make good quality products & would provide the appropiate lubrication to the motor I found on a previous motor I owned , a problem , from time to time , similar to what your currently expericing.

If the problem still continues them , as Huey suggests , the fuel system , carbys , fuel pump etc.

Geoff

Will do Geoff, I have started doing a few things

Checked and examined wiring to dash

Replaced floor with 12mm ply and sealed, then carpet , all new s/s screws

New sounder/gps

Radio

Compass

Flares

Epirb

But yes , I have only really done the easy things (buying new toys)

I will be doing exactly what's been suggested step by step , will hopefully do gearbox oil change this Friday and I'm just going to replace the whole fuel line from start to finish as on appearance it is showing signs of the weathering you would expect.

If I'm lucky ill maybe have this all done by Saturday arvo and will post the findings.

Cheers gibbo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents

Well I have replaced all my fuel lines , new primer bulb and changed the gearbox oil

So I gave it a start at home and I still have the same black 2 stroke oil dripping down the skeg.

The power tune I didn't do as I was unsure about how to do this procedure

One of my sons popped in and he is a second year mechanic and agreed it is definitely 2 stroke

So I guess the next step would be to put it in for a tune and see what the service centre comes up with.

I have a local dealer here intune marine at long jetty I will take it to and see what comes of this , unless there are any other suggestions I may be able to look at myself.

Just a quick mention , I do appreciate the input I have received to date and it has all been very helpful , cheers gibbo

Hi, just changing the fuel lines is one thing, you will need to make sure it is not sucking air and the company you mentioned are not BRP dealers and I would guess they do not even understand how the oil system works. If that was my boat, as I said earlier, I would make sure no air is in fuel system, make sure the engine is reaching correct temp and then power tune it-very easy to do and then drain all the old oil (who knows what it is) and then fill with XD-100 replacing the oil tank filter while you are at it. All this that I mentioned is easy to do at home with some minor mechanical skills and then go for a good hard run in the water to blow any cobwebs away and get the good oil going thru the system and I bet you will not see the oil again-going for a "tune up" will not help especially if the person does not know what they are doing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Point taken Huey The oil in the reservoir is TC-W3 , I'll replace the oil filter while I'm at it and give the power tune ago . If all this fails to produce a positive result you may see me at Cowan Regards Gibbo

It's perhaps a half hour drive from your place to Cowan , defitnatly worth the trip to have qualified people at competitive rates fix the problem which as Huey suggests may just be using the correct oil.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gibson,

I had the same problem with my Johnson 90 HP outboard before but it was fixed when I changed the old fuel and the two stroke oil change to xd-50. Rather than using ear muff, flush your outboard from the tail will also help to clean up in detail. You can also take out the prop and clean it up further and install it back after finish cleaning.

cheers, Phil

Hi Phil ,

Well I haven't gotten to far since my last post ,but I have purchased 3x 3.7 litre XD100 on eBay at a cost of $180 + $34 delivery from Queensland and only just finished electrics , mounting , wiring , etc and polishing up all the fibreglass which is time consuming

But i have scored a new three step stainless ladder which I haven't fitted yet , another job

So yeah I only now need the power tune and I'm ready to decarbonise and see what comes next .

I'm sure this should be sorted once I do these last steps .

Thanks for the info , nice to know its not just my donk that's had this issue

Regards Gibbo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ...

This might be a dumb question but!

As part of the process I'm doing bit by bit as above .

After changing oil over etc (xd100) what is the easiest way to remove the air from the oil line .

Should I just pump the primer bulb while disconnected at the motor end till I only get oil and then keep the bulb compressed till I've secured the line back to the motor or is there another method.

And would this also apply to the fuel system.,

90hp ocean pro Johnson

Not sure but want to do this the right way

Regards Gibbo

• 4 months later...

Hi All . . . . .

Just wanted to say thank you to Craig and the team from Huetts.

The service from the whole crew from start to finish was excellent.

Its a great thing when a businees is a family orientated one

Got launch the Savage for the first time since purchase today , followed the directions given by Craig and the boat goes superb.

He provided me with some intel on the Johnson and a few tips on different elements which are a blessing to know in hindsight

Other than the VRO which was defective & replaced , just minor stuff , thermo's, impeller , compression test , plugs, primer bulb,

I did the powertune last night and flushed it in the morning before giving her the maiden voyage test.

Really didnt smoke like i was expecting and the muck i thought i'd see emitted wasnt evident , so i can only assume that possibly the previous owner maybe did the same thing at the required intervals. . . . but it did idle better and smoke . . non existent , only enough to think its possibly a 2 stroke . . the oil leak down the skeg . . . all gone . . stoked !!!!

The boat went brilliant and am very pleased with the result and would recommend them to all in need of some maintenance done

Thanks again Huetts GREAT JOB . . Peter aka Gibbo