GPS using an iPhone

Aqua Monster

Heading down the coast over the easter break and fishing out of a tinny with no electronics

Wondering if anyone has used one of the GPS apps on an iPhone and how it has worked for them

Also how does the GPS work in areas of limited phone reception?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

As Shane mentioned, Navionics is the go, works great. I use it on the boat to mark waypoints, record tracks and so on.

Just download the maps first onto your phone of the area you'll be fishing.

The application relies on satellites to pinpoint your location, not cell tower reception so as long as you can see the sky, you'll be able to use it.

Agree. Navionics is the best app available. That is pretty much all I use. If you goto general settings on your iPhone and put auto lock on "never" it works as good as any GPS. However this does drain your battery somewhat, so once you hit your mark, just press your master button and let it run in the background. The app holds around 200 GPS marks and will also track you trip, give you distances, allow you to plan routes, etc. On an iPad is even better than most fixed GPS's.

Good luck.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest Aussie007

+1 for navionics i also purchased one of these iphone battery packs online for $25 its basically one huge 12,000mah battery for any phones or those touch screen computers like the ipads the battery comes with multi adapters and a micro usb cable

i run navionics non stop for around 7 hours while fishing plus playing music ive only ever needed this battery pack a few times

post-3154-0-91488500-1364273811_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-60708700-1364273827_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-27304600-1364273841_thumb.jpg

I have downloaded the app and have downloaded the map but can't work out how to input and save a GPS mark. Do I need to install another module?

No. In the top left hand corner you will see a search icon. Press on that, then in top right hand corner you will see lat/long. Press on that and enter coordinates. Once you have done that, click the right hand side of mark and press save!

Cheers scratchie!!!