Crossing the Narooma bar

Benzeenees

You hear a lot about boats coming to grief crossing the Narooma bar. As a result, I have avoided going to Narooma and consequently have not fished Montague. I know you can go there from Bermagui, but it is a 23km run. I'd be interested to hear from Raiders who have crossed the infamous bar. Under moderate conditions - eg a 1m to 1.5m swell, and light winds - how bad is it? It's recommended that you avoid certain times of the tide - eg don't come back in when its running out - but that's not always possible.

Thoughts and comments please.

Hi Benzeenees

bar can be ordinary, however at various times it can be accessed very safely. Eg just after a southerly blow as the southern headland provides protection. Also during the winter when we get the light westerlies.

Times to avoid - summer nor easterlies! Combined with the run out tide. It tends to build if you get a few days of nor east in a row.

Not sure what size boat - their is a ramp at dalmeny people access. Plus you can access live bait up that way as well.

These are just my thoughts

Piratin

If you have doubts launch at bermagui you can come in at any weather , wind and tide , Dalmeny has a ramp that launches straight into the ocean but you need to be quick if the swell is up , narooma can be calm in the morning but wild if a nor easter happens . If you have not crossed bars before , even as a passenger don't attempt it . Launch at bermi and allow a little travel time .

Dogtooth .

Thanks guys - I've been boating for nearly 6 years, but I've only been out from Batemans Bay (mostly flat), Moruya Heads (easy) and Mossy Point (can be interesting going out with a big swell running). Boat is a 5m quintrex topender. Problem is I'm based at Bateman's Bay so the drive down to Bermagui is about 100km. Dalmeny and Potato point sound interesting but I can't get much first hand advice about either.

Mate I've crossed the bar on several occasion s ! I even have crossed it in the massive catermeran that's mored before the bar ! It's like any bar u take ur time an pick ur moment if u commit then go for it ! An obviously u don't attempt in rubbish conditions ! Safety always first

Mate I have been crossing the narooma bar for past 15 years. I was doing it alone as a 15 year old in 17ft boat. Obviously pick your days and you will be fine. When heading out as said above you must fully commit. There is no turning back otherwise your in trouble. Throttle into the swell/wave and as you hit it back right off and roll over. Once over throttle up repeating this process until your out and in the clear. On some nice days you can just cruise out with no issues at all. When coming back in you want your approach to come from more of the southern side as waves will be more than likely breaking on the northern side (opposite when heading out so approach from northern and head south) Don't be afraid to sit back and wait for the right time to come through. Pick your swells. Find a nice spot and sit on the back of wave as you come through. Don't go over the front or fall to far back so the wave behind you catches you. A good tip drive around to the bar and watch others go out and come in.

I have only crossed a a few times the first time in a 5.2 Center console with a 90hp on the back goind out is the easy bit IMO it's the coming back in when your a bit tired and sore from fighting the kings all day. but it was a bit scary the first time as we were towards the end of the run out tide and a bit of a swell running i felt like i needed more power because when we got to where the waves were starting to turn into wash i didnt have enough throttle to over power the outgoing tide and swell. but with a bit of trim adjustment and crossed fingers we made it in ok.

the 2nd time in my new rig 6.2 hard top barcrusher with 175hp it was a nice calm day and just scooted over the bar as the coditions were really good that day high tide low wind hardly any swell and a very un eventfull crossing

the other couple of times have been somewhere inbetween both of these situations and not a real problem for the new rig.

but yeah the first time was fine going out and scary coming back in as the boat i was driving i feel needed more power for the crossing and the conditions wernt ideal but by no means as bad as they can get down there.

hope this helps

cannon