fishing canoe

jewhunter13

Hey raiders,

my dad and i bought a 2 man canoe a while back and we are starting to fit it out for our fishing adventures :biggrinthumb:

we know all the basics like rod holders good seats and net rack and stuff but what else would all of you raiders suggest?

any ideas would be much appreciated because im young and ill be doing most of the work so all the knowledge i can get helps me greatly. this goes for equipment and all little knick knacks you would suggest having on board whilst fishing..

cheers raiders

james.

Hi James

If you are a Jew hunter, I'd suggest a bait tube to keep your livies in and one you can hang on the side of your canoe/yak.

It will slow you down with a bit of drag, but nothing that would ruin your fishing adventures. Can make one for around $10-15. PVC pipe, some vented caps at each end and a bit of rope should do the trick. There are various designs out there on the net.

One other thing I like to bring with me is a 20L round plastic drum for dry storage you can get at any camping or adventure store. It's light and also floats if it ever went in the water.

Enjoy your new ride!

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

perhaps a little depth sounder...doesn't need to be fancy...just something that will show you what the bottom is like, and some zip style retractable leashes or bungee leashes, as if it is valuable, it has a knack of finding its way over the side, especially rods and reels (and your paddle)...if it is leashed on then there are no tears (I speak from experience).

PFDs are a must have...and maybe some little lights just in case you gat caught out and have to paddle back to the ramp in low light conditions...better safe than sorry...its easy to say it wont happen, but then you get onto a hot bite...and you don't want to leave it, and before you know it its getting dark and you have a 40min paddle back to the car...lights are a must have in this situation as not everyone on the water is as cautious as they should be when driving boats at this time...and canoes can be very hard to spot as they have very low profiles.

Also it is worth just taking it out for a few little paddle around sessions...just in the evening for 20 mins to half an hour, flip it over and make sure that between the two of you you can flip it back over and get back in it...this is a very important thing to get the hang of before embarking on any really serious fishing trips.