Port Hacking

Yowie

Woke up early to some rain this morning, looked at the Weather Bureau radar for a while and it appeared the rain would ease off, so decided to give it a go.

No rain at Gunnamatta Bay, so on with the rain gear, loaded the boat and pushed it out of the boatshed into the darkness. Motored along for a short distance and the showers started up again.

Headed to South West Arm where there was not too much wind, as compared to Gunnamatta Bay. Anchored up and 2 smallish jewies straight away, 52 and 58cm, then the little reddies started biting. Showers started, then some heavier showers, then on 2 occasions it was as if someone had turned a fire hose onto the boat :1badmood: Have fished in heavy rain before, but this was the heaviest I can remember. Just had to sit and wait, but the little reddies kept on stealing the baits.

When it eased off, pulled out a tailor about 35cm. While this was happening, my yellowtail line (6 pound line wound onto a cork) started moving so I thought I had my first yellowtail. As I was unhooking the tailor, the yellowtail line took off at a bit of pace, and the cork bounced out of the boat and headed away rather quickly along the surface. After about the 10th cast with a lure, and the cork a long way from the boat, I managed to snag the line and retrieve the fish. It was a 44cm trevally, which was released. I was more interested in getting the cork back, as you cannot buy them any more.

Tried a few spots for squid and in one place scored 4 nice sized greeneyes in four casts, then nothing anywhere else. Headed for home after that.

When the rain eased off, the water in the bottom of the boat was level with my ankles.

There is a photo that does not want to attach.

Edited by yowie

its bloody good fun fishing in the rain... it feels like it pissed down harder on the water than on land.

Good work with the fishing

When lightning starts touching down near where you are fishing, that's the time to be concerned.

You are dedicated I will say that, about 7am it was raining that hard the roads around Kirawee were flooded.

I emptied the rain gauge at home the night before, and when I returned home after fishing, there was 82mm in the gauge. Cronulla had a bit more than that.

Well done Dave,things we do as dedicated fisherman :depression::depression::depression: Have been in that situation many times saying i'll never do this again???????? But i do it again and again.

Well done mate and the trip payed off with a nice feed.

Chris.

If only light showers are forecast, I will usually give it a go Chris. If I had known the rain would return like that, I probably would have returned to bed