Cherry Poppin Goodness!

Fish-On

Hi Raiders, don't you love it when a well orchestrated plan comes together!! Planning started Monday last week, once we saw a window in the weather opening up for a Sunday blue water session. Pegged down a crew, headlined by a brilliant deckie (known to us raiders as Issue) to help us pop the boats cherry! Sunday morning we cast off from the Spit at the gentlemanly hour of 9:30am after respooling the reels.

Steaming through the heads we were greeted with what can only be described as immaculate conditions we knew we were in for a cracking days fishing. Pointed the boat due east and ran to the shelf. On the way Issue ran a session on how to stitch live and skip baits. At around the 70fathom line we set the spread & crossed our fingers.

Arriving at the shelf we could easily pick numerous current breaks in the sapphire blue water. Jellybean tuna and schooling slimiest were in abundance, jumping and schooling on the surface it couldn't be looking more fishy!

At Issues advice we switched the lumo for a pinkie with a slant face. Now I'm not completely against out there colours for lures, but I couldn't help but think that this lure looks like nothing in the ocean, why would a beakie hit a lure that looks like some persons wig who just arrived at the mardigra?? In any case an hour in and BANG mardigra gets whollopped on the long corner by the Mack truck that just went past, and starts burning line! We clear the deck and strap Matt (a marlin virgin) in for the ride of his life!

As we start backing down the fish is about 700m away and we get a couple of nice jumps. Lookin at the size we thought it was a nice black. Fish heads deep and we managed to plane her back up. Poor Matt, each time he gets within 50m of the windon, the fish just strips everything he worked so hard to get back. We finally get the fish within 30m of the boat to have it break the surface with some more acrobatics and realise it's a massive stripe! She finally tires and we get a couple of wraps on the leader and bring her along side where Issue places her at a good 90kgs and cleanly releases her. Clapping, cheering, high fives and I'm not ashamed to say it, few man hugs!

After 55mins we had successfully popped two Cherry's; Matts and the boats! FINALLY!!!!! & on a good sized fish too! Cracking a round of beers we relived the moment, everyone grinning from ear to ear.

We start the run home around 4 and we managed to raise and get hit by another 2 fish but couldn't set the hooks.

All in all we return to dock victorious! It was an absolutely brilliant day out and one we won't forget. Luckily we got video, so the wife can't doubt our success!

A huge thank you to skipper Frank for his continued persistence and a MASSIVE thanks to Issue, who with his mentoring and years of invaluable experience helped make this day an epic event, with many more to come!

Bring on this Sunday!

Tight lines, Steve

That is a good report boys....It was a brilliant day and Im so happy for you all. You guys will catch lots more as you picked everything up so easily and Matt angled that difficult fish like he had caught plenty before. Great company, superb weather and a lovely vessel...oh and throw in a big beakie ! Thankyou for having me.

Congrats mate! It's about time someone put up a game fishing post. It was an exciting and informative read. Just remember not too long on them man hugs! Lol.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Scratchie, yep well said; but a moment like that, I'll let it slide, just this once only! & cheers mate appreciate the encouragement!

Great stuff boys thats how its done!!!

And that's the report I've been waiting for thanks boys forecast tomorrow looks great time for some more solo action ... Got 2 new tiagra 50w to work over!!!!!

Burnsy74, I feel a cough coming on, ccccoooouuuugggghhh cough cough; wish I could head out tomorrow, good luck, weather looks like its getting better and better over the next few days. Only problem I've got us trying to chuck a sickie then heading back to work with a tan..kinda hard to explain!

That is a good report boys....It was a brilliant day and Im so happy for you all. You guys will catch lots more as you picked everything up so easily and Matt angled that difficult fish like he had caught plenty before. Great company, superb weather and a lovely vessel...oh and throw in a big beakie ! Thankyou for having me.

Mr Issue, mate u are an absolute champion! It wouldn't have come together as smoothly or quickly without you! Ur knowledge and advice is second to none! Looking forward to keeping you posted before the big freeze hits! Catch up soon mate & looking forward to wetting a line with and chasing some bread and butter! Steve