Rozelle Bay Canal - top water breaming

Robinsoi

Hey Raiders!
Mid last week on a smallish high tide (1.2m) I went out for a top water session at the canal leading into Rozelle Bay and decided to give the 45mm Berkley Prawn Dog in Pooch colour a shot.
Using gentle flicks of the rod in my retrieve I was able to generate some interest from the local bream population and it did not take long before I noticed some activity and swirls in close proximity to the lure and had a hookup :)
8673406421_c70d7b1610_c.jpg
This 26cm specimen took a swipe at the stationary lure practically at my feet!
8673409621_492ffde2d9_c.jpg

I switched over to a Chubby lure in Brown Suji Shrimp colour. The slow roll retrieve was not generating any interest so I experimented and found that by holding the rod tip high and working the lure almost like a popper with slow gentle flicks as it floated on the surface was a better proposition. This 28cm specimen took a fancy to this style of retrieve and was a new PB on a hardbody :yahoo:

8674515924_41b57360f6_c.jpg

Even the babies were willing to have a go:

8673414369_a918434ee6_c.jpg

With the help of my polarised sunnies it was fascinating seeing the bow wave created by an approaching bream then seeing it inspect the lure giving it a flick or a nudge while making that 'bloop' noise before either having a solid crack at it or swim off. I have read about the visual aspect of this form of fishing on the Forum but had yet to experience it until now! Thanks Raiders for sharing tips on the Forum, it helped me in this session and I was pleased to get into a few on the hard bodies particularly on the surface :)

All fish were released to fight another day.
Thanks in advance for any comments posted.
All the best
Ian

Ian top work mate!

I love those lures! although im too scared to throw my chubby around incase i lose it lol.

Its good to see the bream hitting top water, ive never tried the rozelle area might have to give it a go!

Well done again Ian,

Cheers, Stan

Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated.

Stan: Yeah I feel apprehensive throwing around my Chubby and other more expensive lures in fear of loosing them. Oh well the lures are not going to catch anything sitting at the bottom of the tackle box!

nbdshroom: From what I could see there wasn't many snags in this canal and yes the snagging probability is also on my mind before tying on a lure. I used the floatiing hard bodies in this session so if the lure does get caught on something you can give the line a jiggle and hopefully the lure will float back to the surface .... well that's the theory anyway.

All the best

Ian