1st boat advice

Justin80

Hello Raiders,

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a boat! I figure with Winter fast upon us, the next few months might be a good time to sniff out a bargain.

My budget is $12,000 in TOTAL. My thinking is that it may be wise to spend $8 - $10,000 on the boat and trailer and keep a few grand in my back pocket to cover any potential repairs and servicing that may be required. If I don't need to spend any money on repairs all the better. I can then spend this money on making modifications or improvements.

What I am after is a boat to comfortably get me out off Long Reef, and on a fine day with an easy ocean a fair bit further. I'm not talking shelf runs, but maybe some FADS. I'd also like to be able to throw some camping gear somewhere dry and take my mates or the girlfriend camping and fishing for the weekend occasionally.

I work most weekends as a deckhand on various boats that range from a 42' timber charter fishing vessel to a 80' luxury cruiser, so I'm reasonably experienced. But not so much in small boats. I took some mates out on a steel plate 5m boat recently and thought the size was about right, but we caught a bit of chop coming back in towards Barrenjoey and the ride was, frankly, terrible.

Fibreglass it is then. I've looked around a bit and I'm leaning towards an old Seafarer Sea-V, but I welcome any suggestions. I understand their hulls were quite seaworthy and I still see a few around Sydney, usually launching off the Manly Ferry's wake. Any thoughts, guys? There is one close to me. He is asking $8000. It looks as though it has been well looked-after with new carpet, GPS, bimini, windscreen, bait tank, battery and propeller. The trailer is completely reconditioned with new bearings, brakes, etc. The hull is a '90 with a "...90's Mariner 90hp". How are the Mariners? Anything to look out for? I believe a 90hp is about right for this type of boat. I also understand the transoms can soften with Sea-V's. Would $2 - $4000 cover replacing the transom and stringers, and perhaps raising the transom while we're at it? How about an engine rebuild?

Also, would a Subaru Forrester have any problem pulling this up the coast and off slippery boat ramps?

Sorry guys, lots of questions I know. Even if someone answers one of them I'll be much better off.

Thanks again guys, always a pleasure to click through these forums.

Justin.

Edited by Justin80

What ever boat you look at , especially fiberglass check the gross weight , boat , trailer & motor then add around 150kg for fuel & gear.

You mention the trailer has brakes so this means it's already over 750kg

Compare the weight to the towing capacity of the Subaru. Also , towing is one thing , stopping is another.

Will the Subaru quickly pull up , say 1000kg with out any drama

In respect to slipery ramps , the Subaru being a AWD , should be OK.

Mariners are rebadged Mercury. Not that there is anything wrong with that , just info on the motors origion.

How many hours on motor ??

If the compression is OK & is basically the same in each cylinder , starts & sounds OK then should continue to give reliable service but it would be best to have it serviced just to make sure.

There are ways to check for soft transoms , one is to feel inside the bung holes for wet or spongy timber.

Talk to Huey , he would be able to provide more information

Geoff

Thanks for the response, Geoff!

The braked towing capacity is listed at 1400kg in the manual, but I wouldn't want to be pulling that sort of weight around in a wagon. Maybe around the 1000kg mark is not so bad, though.

I had read somewhere that the Mariners were Mercurys. What were the Mercurys like back then in the 90's? I think 90hp is listed somewhere around the maximum for the 4.74m Sea-V, but would a mid-90's outboard still be putting out anything like the horsepower it did when new?

Huey, if you read this and have a spare moment, what are your thoughts? Also, do you offer pre-purchase boat appraisals or inspections? What does a service on this type of boat roughly cost? What would it cost to have the hull cut back and re-coated? Is it worth spending money for a engine rebuild just to be sure? I'd rather spend money now than require a tow back in and THEN have to spend the money anyway.

Thanks for your time again Geoff!

Justin.

the older v-sea is a perfect little boat.i had one up untill 18months ago and it was the best little boat i have been in.the 90 is a bit heavey on the back i bought a new 70yam for mine in 2004 best thing ever.i used to use a liberty awd wagon 2.3ltr bangor to wonnie or port.i sold it for a viking but its a little on the big side just to nip out for a few hours by myself were as the vsea was great.get the hull checked out as well as the motor must have all the same compression in a test

good luck

I'm not familiar with the quality of Mariners / Merc's produced during the 90's so unable to assist.

Suggest you speak with Huey however , before doing so try & find the actual year as I suspect a 1991motor will be a lot different to a 1999 motor .

As to the HP , it will mainly depend on the condition , especially the compression.

Geoff

hmm i tow with a my10 xt forester its rated too 1200kg the older pre 2007 foresters were more , it pull my boat quite easy ,bmt under 1000 kg . awd is awesome .

to go that sort of distance out you want a near new motor for piece of mind .and around 5.5 mt. , youll get away with a smaller boat only if its quality hull to get you

out of trouble.

Thanks for all the great info guys. Picked up a few things from reading your posts.

Thanks for the info, Frantic. I figured a Forrester is our best bet. I want some of the advantages of a 4wd (I do a bit of camping and hunting when possible), but not so many of the downsides to a 4wd (fuel, tire costs, etc). Plus, my girlfriend will drive it most days so it has to be something managable for her as well.

Jim and Nathen, what sort of a fuel range did you have? And what sort of fuel-tank set-up did your Sea-V's have? I have heard that range can be an issue, especially with larger two-stroke outboards (relative to the boat, I mean).

Thanks again.

Justin

Edited by Justin80