Wambie Session Success

SMn

G'day,

Had an absolute shocker last night from the beach, one disaster after another saw only one cast in 40 minutes of stuffing around and a lot of swearing. So I was a little put off tonight as I walked down with my daughter (6yrs old and stoked about everything). Had two rods tonight which I rarely do, cast out the 1st with a surf popper and pillie paternoster on the Alvey 650a5, then lobbed out a butterflied tailor on the other rod with a 650e5 (I have dreams of a jewie off the beach this year).

The pillie and popper had only been out for minute when my daughter starts telling me the tip was bending on the rod, my pesimistic mood lingered from last night and I dismissed a fish on out of hand. I grabbed the rod and swapped it with the one I was holding merely to humour my daughter and felt the weight almost straight away. 5 minutes later a beautiful sambo at least 60cm, it really got the blood flowing and blew away any more thoughts of my disaster the previous night, released a minute or two later after a good look and a reasonable plea from my daughter.Taken on a blue surf popper.

10 minutes later I swapped the rods again and felt two solid taps and a brief fight a 33cm bream joined us on the sand, I didn't give my daughter a choice this time as I dispatched the fatty immediately. My 1st bream off the beach so a PB, really happy about that, also on the blue popper.

Cast back out and was in the process of changing back to the jewie rod when I get a nice little run on the paternoster rig again. A great fight from a 35cm trevally and my daughter and I were super stocked! By now my daughter being a typical 6yr old was completely soaked and covered in sand so the tough decision was made to head home. Couldn't complain 3 fish 2 keepers and shrugged off the shyte effort last night.

Also on our way home along the beach another chappy had landed a nice flattie and tailor.

Good to see some fish! Jewie bait untouched however, all fish caught between 4.45 and 6.10pm.

post-24928-0-74176000-1366712795_thumb.jpg

Cheers Fisholb! Hope you get yours too. I've been following moons/tides/sunset/sunrise and tried a few different baits, had a few big runs on tailor heads but I think they were big rays, nothing on the fresh squid apart from a few tailor... Just read a report where pillies seemed a winner, so something else to try among the many, many different ideas and experiences.

A friend of mine and myself were fishing off a beach, me with a whole fresh cuttle on 4/0's and my mate with servo prawn on a store bought whiting rig...and we picked up a 60-65cm Jew each...right place at the right time I reckon...I still think it was a pretty good fluke haha

Hahaha don't write it off as a fluke reubs, a baited hook in the water is there to catch fish... If that fish just happens to be a species that people spend countless hours trying to catch, it is just emphasizes your fishing genious!

At this stage I'll need to max out my rods to ensure I've got all baits covered, each session! Hahaha... I think just about everytime I catch something is a fluke!

Cheers Fisholb! Hope you get yours too. I've been following moons/tides/sunset/sunrise and tried a few different baits, had a few big runs on tailor heads but I think they were big rays, nothing on the fresh squid apart from a few tailor... Just read a report where pillies seemed a winner, so something else to try among the many, many different ideas and experiences.

never targeted jew before...we always catch salmon n tailor off the beach...one of my mate caught a 18kg jew back in 2011 off the beach on pilchard...early morning on a run out tide...

never targeted jew before...we always catch salmon n tailor off the beach...one of my mate caught a 18kg jew back in 2011 off the beach on pilchard...early morning on a run out tide...

Yeh salmon and tailor seem to be my standard off the beach apart from last night, certainly not complaining though! Have some IQF pillies, tailor head and fresh squid strips to have another crack tonight. Fired up just thinking about it hahaha...

Good Work SMn,

I have fished Wamby for 10 years, and caught my first trevally there a month ago. Given its still 23 degrees (last time I checked anyway) I am wondering why they are there. Anyway, not complaining as they are great fish.

Cheers

The Poacher

Yeh salmon and tailor seem to be my standard off the beach apart from last night, certainly not complaining though! Have some IQF pillies, tailor head and fresh squid strips to have another crack tonight. Fired up just thinking about it hahaha...

Goodluck mate...looking forward to your report...

Excellent work mate :thumbup:

Good on you for taking your daughter with you. I take my kids fishing with me at times and they have a ball.

Keep up the good work and good luck tonight.

Ian

Thanks mate it's great to have some quality time with the kids while your doing something you really enjoy. No jewie but some good tailor a small shark and a flattie. Was great!

Good Work SMn,

I have fished Wamby for 10 years, and caught my first trevally there a month ago. Given its still 23 degrees (last time I checked anyway) I am wondering why they are there. Anyway, not complaining as they are great fish.

Cheers

The Poacher

That's my second and gee they give you a good go! Thought it was a sambo at first, straight up hit and 2 nice little runs a light tussle at the beach break, was very suprised when I saw what it was. Cooked up very well too.

Goodluck mate...looking forward to your report...

Thanks mate but it wasn't to be tonight. However did score a couple of tailor and flathead with my dad though, so some great fish for dinner again and some solid bait for another attempt tomorrow night... Hahaha... Looking forward to it again!

I fish the beaches a lot, but never caught a trevally.

For us who hope for a jewie, we all believe the Jewies are just out there,one day they will find our bait.

Charles

Yep I was suprised both times I've caught trevally off the beach, but a welcome by catch none the less, they give you a run for your money. It always motivates me to stay that bit longer or get up that bit earlier when I have mulloway on the mind. I dream about it when I have a good bait, wife thinks I'm crazy when I save the heads from tailor or keep a fresh squid for bait, when it should be salt and peppered served up on the table.