Sydney Harbour fish all at dawn service

reubs

G'day Raiders,

Took the new boat out on the harbour today for a bit of a different experience and to get used to busy times etc. me and 3 other boys onboard, finally rewired the boat so everything is switched and fused which is great and its no longer a deathtrap :). In any event, 89 dollars at RTM, 110 dollars at bcf, 35 dollars on a 2kg block of pillies and 400grams of prawns (EXTORTION!!!) from the servo and 2 hours of sleep later I was out ofthe driveway this morning with the boys at 4:30am and on our way to rose bay. Got to the boatramp and it wasnt too busy....turned around and there was about 20 rigs behind us! got our launch on and with the plan to hit sow and pigs and see what all the fuss is about headed to camp cove to try and raise some live baits...after about 30 mins of nothing on peeled prawn or plastics or squid jigs decided to head over to sow and pigs....get there try to anchor up but the anchor chain doesnt seem to be heavy enough.. so were just drifting at a slowed pace heading straight towards the shallow stuff, 1st cast and one of the boys has snagged up my 15lb braid rod and snaps the line....mad dog.... couldnt get a good anchor and at the same time there was nothing at all showing on the sounder. and we were in all of about 5-7 metres of water....I'm sure I'm missing something but I had no idea what technique I should employ if any at S&P and quickly running out of ideas decide to head to one of the wedding cakes....still couldnt hold anchor and drifted off the spot fairly quickly with the last of the run out. No surface schools, no birds diving, I was pretty sure all the fish were at the dawn service and today was quickly becoming one of those days.

Headed over towards chowder bay and anchored up close to the cliffs, started flicking plastics around, a couple of investigations on the plastic (zman grubz in bloodworm) with no takers, the other boys trying their luck with small hooks and baits and landed a couple of small snapper, couple of small trevally, still nothing legal for a livey, then on a tiny suicidal hook and freshly peeled servo prawn one of the boys brings up a fanbellied jacket, followed soon after by another and another and a then a horseshoe jacket....I still hadnt caught anything....got bored of that moved to the rocks near clifton gardens where there was once again no one home, figured it sucked because we were casting towards rocks that we could fish from is we were land based and then we were just reeling in the opposite direction....fail....move around to bradleys head to have a crack...ended up have some grainwave sandwiches for lack of food we took onboard haha... fed the fish some bread...accepted challenge to catch bream on bread, caught a snapper, failed miserably. Went for a cruise through the harbour, headed to darling harbour, turned around headed to goat island to find the mystical deep holes that exist there...couldnt find them...anchored up near the pylons for a flick....for nothing..

So with the sun beating down, 3 jackets in the esky, a tank and a half of fuel down and a few layers of clothing less than when we left the ramp this morning it was time to head in......Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing in the harbour and couldn't find anything worth catching today....maybe the bombers flying overhead were scaring all the fish away....but where did they scare them away to? I have no idea because I couldn't find any :P (this is my plea for help navigating the harbour)

Tighter lines than mine!

Reubs

Better luck next time! I had a quick flick today and scored a donut. Firstly I forgot to bring my 1000 reel so I had to make do with a 6" foot rod coupled to a size 4000 reel. Flicking plastics with such an unbalanced rod was not fun... oh well.

Don't feel too bad as its tough going in the Harbour lately. I was out on Wednesday and lots of bait but surface fish were not in big numbers, spread out and focused on glassies. I tangle with some pretty big tailor but just couldn't get them in the boat due to their teeth.

Water is cooling off and a bit dirty doesn't help.

Mike