Kingless again

farizzy

Fished North head on sat morning and suprisingly not to many boats out.

Got out yackas and lowered them down.

Within 5 min zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I screamed thats a king for sure. had it on for a couple of seconds and it was gone.

Next bait it and again i just put the rod in the holder and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but yet again no solid hook up, I thought im done for sure , you dont get to many chances but hey i dropped the next one and bang on again. great couple of runs but then it was just cruising. Ive never caught a king but all the videos ive seen they go hard. after a 5 min fight our first glims. Boooooooooooooooo a big salmon. i was dirty. i didnt expect a salmon to take a live yacka. We had a few more yacks but they got smashed as well. Ahh well, that king will come soon enough, i hope.

80lb with 100lb trace. Doesnt matter once they hit the rocks its gone no matter how heavy. We have tried serious drag and they still get to the bottom and you cant get the rod out of the holder. I think you have to drive them out or maybe open the bail arm. They have all been honkers though!

Fished North head on sat morning and suprisingly not to many boats out.

Got out yackas and lowered them down.

Within 5 min zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I screamed thats a king for sure. had it on for a couple of seconds and it was gone.

Next bait it and again i just put the rod in the holder and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but yet again no solid hook up, I thought im done for sure , you dont get to many chances but hey i dropped the next one and bang on again. great couple of runs but then it was just cruising. Ive never caught a king but all the videos ive seen they go hard. after a 5 min fight our first glims. Boooooooooooooooo a big salmon. i was dirty. i didnt expect a salmon to take a live yacka. We had a few more yacks but they got smashed as well. Ahh well, that king will come soon enough, i hope.

Hi mate, bad luck on the kings. Keep at it and eventually you will get one..... If you are hooking salmon and they are taking line you definitly need to tighten up your drag or you need bigger gear otherwise after all your effort trying to hook a big king it will be gone in the blink of an eye. Especially around North Head.

You got to get use to it ! 8 takes out of 10 on yakkas will be dirty scumbos from the stones ... I found that if you rig a bit deeper, closer from the bottom you tend to avoid them but.

That doesn't mean you'll never get them don't give me wrong ! :P

You will get squidded quite often if you re fishing early mornings as well ... and tailored ! Gotta get use to it, but you'll see after a while, the "zzzzzzzzzzz" of the salmon as you call it is pretty different from the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" of most kings :)

From what i have seen they also appear to fight harder than ever on the DR. I put this down to the higher drag i run when DR, the more you push the kings they more they push back. Was watching adventure bound episode where he 'went easy' on a hoodie and it came in 'quietly'. Or as quiet as a hoodie gets.