Salamander Bay Advice

Stapo

Hi Raiders.

Heading up to Salamander Bay on the weekend with some friends, not knowing the area at all I was wondering if anybody could advise on a land based fishing spot.

Nothing too serious, it's not a fishing trip, I was just thinking of a couple of hours flicking a lure.

Thanks Steve

The wall at the marina is worth a try, can get quiet crowded but have heard reports over the years of big Jews & kingies being caught there. I think it may be in Nelson bay but not sure. There's a few fishos on this site who may be able to point you in the right direction

How's this report for you, hope it helps!

ESTUARY -

Reports this week suggest that the estuary will be the place to fish this weekend. Bream and Luderick are the two stand out species with plenty getting caught from Karuah to Shoal Bay. The oyster racks at the entrance of the Karuah are fishing well on the incoming tide for Bream especially if you anchor and burley and allow your baits such as mullet gut or peeled endeavour prawns to drift back into the racks, be sure to use fluorocarbon leaders as those oysters can be nasty. Bream up to 44cm around Soldiers Point on a night time. Fish the rock walls at Fame cove or around the oyster racks tossing lightweighting hated Z Mann grubs amongst the racks. Luderick have fired up especially around the Break walls. Plenty are getting caught from the anchorage so to Nelson Bay and the Torpedo Tubes at Shoal Bay. Cabbage weed is the best at the moment and with the low swell and tides will be easy to get from around Boat Harbour and alike. Some good Jewies were caught in the bay. fish the back of Middle Isalnd with live baits also heard of a few smaller ones coming from the wreck at Salamander. The Long Tail Tuna keep anglers on there toes as the rip into the Garfish around the wharf behind Salamander Shoes. Some big Kings have also been sighted doing the same thing around the break wall.

BEACH -

Its great to see the beaches firing with plenty on offer from Birubi to Zenith. The big news this week Jewies from in front of the surf club at Fingal, fish on a high tide change last weekend. There are also some good Tailor from around the spit along with a few Bream. Zenith and Box beach are fishing well for Bream especially the northern and southern end, there are also a few Tailor mixed in.Whiting can be still caught despite the water temp cooling off. Try One Mile or Samurai for better results. Birubi is holding plenty of good Bream in the gutters but it pays to fish on sunrise or sunset.

ROCKS -

Its the time of year when rock fishing comes into its own. Plenty of species are on offer and you can always find protection from the wind. This week has been great with good fish caught in the washes. Fingal Point is fishing well for Tailor and Bonito whilst the southern end of Box Beach is fishing well for Tailor and Bream. Boulder Bay is holding plenty of Drummer and Luderick but it pays to walk a little bit further to find the better quality fish. A few reports of Snapper coming from the rocks at Sunny Corner and Fishermans bay this week and with a building swell over the weekend it will be worth fishing.

Thanks guys great stuff. Yes Scratchie I'll keep an eye out,

Sounds like the weather might not be in my favour but they have been wrong before.

If you guys ever come to The Entrance give me a yell I'll let you know where to fish or prawn.

Thanks Steve

Thanks guys great stuff. Yes Scratchie I'll keep an eye out,

Sounds like the weather might not be in my favour but they have been wrong before.

If you guys ever come to The Entrance give me a yell I'll let you know where to fish or prawn.

Thanks Steve

Will do! And good luck, hopefully you get something to post.

Cheers scratchie!!!