What a waste of time! Learnt my lesson.

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hi guys.

So late last night i decided that this morning i would go out for a fish off the rocks off Avoca.

So i got up at 5:30 stopped by the bait shop, put some fuel in the car and headed up the F3.

But to my surpirse when i got to Avoca the entire rock platform was covered in ankle deep water. The waves hitting the rocks were spraying about 4-5 metres in the air.

There was not a person fishing in sight the place was deserted except for a few people like me with fishing rods in hand and deciding where to go from here.

I walked up the platform to search for a safe place but the entire place was being smashed by waves it was just to dangerous.

So i went to Terrigal since id never been fishing there and thought id have a look to see if it was safe. Nope even worse than Avoca.

By this time it was 830 or so and the best fishing time of the morning was quickly passing me by.

I decided to go to MacMahons beach and have a look there to see if i could find a nice gutter or trench perhaps.

But having a look out at the beach it was just getting smahed with waves. No gutters in sight just constant waves.

So after that long trip and getting up early etc i ended up coming home without throwing a line in.

Learnt my lesson to check the swell before i go, but ive never seen it this bad before.

At least you were smart enough to not drop a line. I have seen some people fishing some seriously dangerous swells in the past. I have even assisted in a body recovery once from someone doing exactly that a couple of days earlier. I was on the boat which found him floating on the other side of the bay from which he was fishing. It's not something you forget in a hurry.

Guest mike2153

Yea i could imagine it wouldnt be a pretty sight.

Yea I mean im pretty switched on and know how to pick a spot which is safe and ive fished in some decent swell at Avoca it really comes down to being a bit smart and not turning your back on the water and picking your spot properly. But today you would have to be mad to try and fish.

You did everything right. Your still here and there' s always tomorrow.

Jeff

Hi guys.

So late last night i decided that this morning i would go out for a fish off the rocks off Avoca.

So i got up at 5:30 stopped by the bait shop, put some fuel in the car and headed up the F3.

But to my surpirse when i got to Avoca the entire rock platform was covered in ankle deep water. The waves hitting the rocks were spraying about 4-5 metres in the air.

There was not a person fishing in sight the place was deserted except for a few people like me with fishing rods in hand and deciding where to go from here.

I walked up the platform to search for a safe place but the entire place was being smashed by waves it was just to dangerous.

So i went to Terrigal since id never been fishing there and thought id have a look to see if it was safe. Nope even worse than Avoca.

By this time it was 830 or so and the best fishing time of the morning was quickly passing me by.

I decided to go to MacMahons beach and have a look there to see if i could find a nice gutter or trench perhaps.

But having a look out at the beach it was just getting smahed with waves. No gutters in sight just constant waves.

So after that long trip and getting up early etc i ended up coming home without throwing a line in.

Learnt my lesson to check the swell before i go, but ive never seen it this bad before.

You did everything right. Your still here and there' s always tomorrow.

Jeff

Have to agree with Jeff. That's the beauty of our sport! There's always tomorrow! But as you said, lesson learnt". Bet you check conditions before you head out next time and good luck when you do!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice to hear a story of someone doing the righ thing, to rough don't fish, too many time I have seen people in the same situation that decide to still throw in a line just because they made the trip.

Best sites to check for conditions are swell net, coastal cam and Willy's weather for surf conditions. I've been in your situation many a time. Just make it a habit to check tide, wind and swell b4 each trip.all part of knowing which rock locations in certain weather conditions to fish.

Yeh mate always check willyweather before hand... I never fish the rocks Avoca or Terrigal if the swell is over 1.8-2m they're too open to the wind and waves and the surf was huge over the weekend. You can try at the haven at Terrigal down near the rocks at the dive cafe if you needed a bit of shelter and wambie beach had a few gutters worth a poke over the weekend...