Advice for first boat?

alluring

I'm 20 years old and after a few years of putting money aside I'm starting to seriously consider buying my first boat. While I would eventually like a nice boat that's good to take out to sea I figure for the moment a tinny of some sort that'd be good for the rivers, lakes and estuaries around the south coast and canberra region would be best to start off on.

Because it's my first time I don't really have any idea where to start when looking for a boat. I guess my questions are what would I be looking for, things to watch out for, etc. I'm not really familar with many of the terms used either, I've searched around the web but I'm just wondering what advice you guys would have. Towing isn't a problem, and I'd be looking to spend anything up to $5000.

Thanks for your time!

alluring

I got a bargin for mine 2 years ago for 5k. It's a quintrex 420 WB dory and I reckon it would be still worth the same price. Its a slightly bigger boat, and I have a mercury 40hp on the back. Came with sounder, 2 canopies etc, looks better painted white too.

Once you've set your mind on a boat, be sure to take it for a test run at the nearest river.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

I got a bargin for mine 2 years ago for 5k. It's a quintrex 420 WB dory and I reckon it would be still worth the same price. Its a slightly bigger boat, and I have a mercury 40hp on the back. Came with sounder, 2 canopies etc, looks better painted white too.

Once you've set your mind on a boat, be sure to take it for a test run at the nearest river.

Thanks, that sounds awesome. Would you have any recommendations for a first boat? Like I said I've never owned one before, I don't have a license or anything yet either.. What should I be looking out for?

I've only owned mine for 2 years, so still quite new to the scene.

I would recommend quintrex, as my experience has been good - having said that, I think Stacers also make a good range and are cheaper.

I'd be focusing on 3 things:

1. Motor - take it for a run at full throttle, make sure to test the reverse gear too. (and in anycase, I would replace the impeller once you bought it)

2. The Hull - check for hole repairs.

3. The trailer - check for rust around the axles and the winch.

Be sure to test a few and don't rush into it! Go with your gut feeling, I.e. pick the most honest and geniune seller.

tell us your total budget and will be easier to recommend something

but a 4.2m open dingy with a 25-30hp outboard of a major brand will only set you back around 8k new with safety gear.

add a bimini for shade and your set
can fish rivers bays and duck outside on good days

tell us your total budget and will be easier to recommend something

but a 4.2m open dingy with a 25-30hp outboard of a major brand will only set you back around 8k new with safety gear.

add a bimini for shade and your set

can fish rivers bays and duck outside on good days

My budget at the moment for this would be about $5000, I could go quite a bit higher without an impact on my savings. Would you recommend buying brand new? I was thinking something second hand but because I don't know anything about boats just yet it's making it harder to know what's good or not :P

Guest Aussie007

i would go with a second hand boat in the 4-4.5m range since u have no experience try find a boat with a steering wheel as a tiller boats can be a bit sketchy on the steering if your new to boating

since the boat is second hand try find one which includes all the safety gear u need for inshore use

i personally would find a boat with the widest and deepest hull possible it makes for a much better experience into boating

a aluminium boat is much easier to handle to a fibreglass boat when loading and unloading onto a trailer by your self

on your first outings go to known boat ramps with shelter and other boaters around who can help u out if u need help the foreshore rd ramp at botany is good there isnt a fast current past the wharfs so its easy to launch and retrieve the boat and there will be people around if u need a hand

put a side a few hundred dollars to service the engine and service the trailer wheel bearings

you will get more metres for your money with a tiller, also a more versatile boat with more room inside it.

tillers are not sketchy unless over powered, extremely unbalanced weight distribution or a major setup issue

also sitting up the front in small boats is as comfortable as being bashed in the kidneys by mike tyson even the old fat modern mike tyson.

for a few thousand more you can get many 3.9 - 4.2m boats new with a yamaha, merc or suzuki 2 stroke.

the engine can be considered the most important part and how its looked after will determine how many years it will last, i hate buying other peoples problems or the results of their neglect

huey has the buster basically a big dingy type hull or you could get a 390 explorer v nose punt with a 15hp for 8k from various places add a electric motor and go chase anything bream bass flatties kings in th ebay

Hi, we stock and sell Stacer because we think they are the best and have done so for many many years. As mentioned most of the more reputable brands will be a good choice and buying second hand can be a gamble. I have a few good tiller steer boat within the budget second hand that have passed our checks and we know what to look for. On the new side as jugs mentioned you can get yourself something like the very popular Stacer 399 Proline, trailer and carby 15HP for $5,800 drive-away all new with warranty. That gives you some comparison when looking at a second hand rig, that many are overpriced for what you are getting compared to a new rig.

Cheers,

Huey.

I reckon you should be able to get something around 4 - 4.5m for around $5k to $6k. There are heaps of used boats on the market and I think it's a buyer's market. A 4.5m boat would even allow you to go offshore in sheltered bays. I bought my boat new ( I'd never owned a boat before) but if I was buying today I go for something used. You don't need a licence to get started, as long as you stay under 10 knots.

I think you'll find if your boat is capable of speed greater than 10 kts you need a license. Better to get the license straight up so you know the rules and can get a little "experience" before you jump in your new boat.

G'day,

They have changed the rules and now anyone over 18 can operate any size boat at under 10 knots.

Cheers Leo

Guest Aussie007

from what i read on my license renewal a few years ago if the boat is capable of more than 10knots it needs to be registered this is a add on to what the other members have said

Hi, registration has got nothing to do with speed. Any boat with 6HP or over needs to be registered and as for licences, any boat can be operated under 10 knots without a licence. That is why you can hire the big houseboats and small tinnies without licences because they can not go over 10 knots.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey, what about if the boat hasn't been speed restricted and are capable of doing over 10 knots if they're opened up? Is it still ok for unlicensed people to drive them if they keep them under 10 knots?

Just out of curiosity for me, I got my license as soon as I was old enough so I could get a boat one day...

You could operate a cruiser liner (far fetched I know) under 10 knots and still not need a licence.

This is all covered in the link I gave in an earlier post...

The size of the boat has nothing to do with what speed it's capable of. A bass boat is likely to be quite a bit faster than a large cruiser. As a kid my family used to go on a houseboat often which was big and cumbersome and not capable of traveling faster than 10 knots which is why it could be piloted by anyone. But that's obviously before the rules changed.

It's not often that when a law changes it makes more sense than the previous...

Guest Aussie007

hey huey it was on my license renewal about 3 years ago if a boat is powered greater than 6hp by a unlicensed driver doing no more than 10 knots it must be registered

Wow thanks for all this information guys, blown away by all the feedback :D This is all excellent to know, I'm still undecided on whether I'll go second hand or new, but I'm ready to start looking around now I have a bit of an idea of what I'm after. I'll definitely be getting a license regardless of the size/speed of the boat though, can't be too careful when it comes to safety and I'm sure there'll be plenty of useful information I'll learn ;)

Hi, on the licence and rego thing, if we want to split hairs there will always be a grey area but for 99% of people on here, a boat does not need to be registered if it has an outboard less than 6HP, there is a exception for certain sizes of boats. As for a licence you can drive any boat, even ones capable of doing more than 10 knots, if you do not go over 10 knots. Most of the "hire" boats are not even capable of that but a recreational boat, that is capable of going over 10 knots, if you are caught doing over 10knots without a licence you will be fined. Of course I am sure there are people that disobey these laws just as with a car licence, I am sure people are driving around without licences on our roads too, but it is not a good practice either on the road or water.

Cheers,

Huey.