Advice for first boat?

alluring

Wow thanks for all this information guys, blown away by all the feedback :D This is all excellent to know, I'm still undecided on whether I'll go second hand or new, but I'm ready to start looking around now I have a bit of an idea of what I'm after. I'll definitely be getting a license regardless of the size/speed of the boat though, can't be too careful when it comes to safety and I'm sure there'll be plenty of useful information I'll learn ;)

I wasn't suggesting that you don't get a licence - you just don't need one to get started if you stay under 10 knots (about 19 kph). To get a licence you need to do a course (can be done online thru NSW Maritime for a nominal fee), pass a multiple choice test (when I did the course it included trial test questions) and provide evidence of practical experience. You can fill in a log book, but you will need to do at least 3 trips with an experienced skipper. That's why you might want to consider waiting to get your licence until after you've got some experience - either in your own boat or someone else's.

Or you can pay to do a commercial course.

I'm with some of the earlier posts.

4.2 ish metre tinny, tiller steer, brand new, unpainted, the deeper style (ala quintrex dory), 30-40hp motor, go for the wider gunnels if you can. I think that basic tinnies sell for too much second hand and that there is better value and peace of mind if you go with a brand spanker.