Starting - Soft Plastics

sbf1

Hi all,

I have fallen to jealosy after seeing all the post with fish caught on Sp's and want to give it a go.

Could i ask what brand, size, colour, hook size and weight etc i should stock up with to start. I will be targeting Jews in MH up to about 15M of water.

Any advice on what to buy would be appeciated as i have no idea!

Thanks

Hi all,

I have fallen to jealosy after seeing all the post with fish caught on Sp's and want to give it a go.

Could i ask what brand, size, colour, hook size and weight etc i should stock up with to start. I will be targeting Jews in MH up to about 15M of water.

Any advice on what to buy would be appeciated as i have no idea!

Thanks

If your targetting jews i would say use the squidgy slick rigs in drop bear colour if its the first time using plastics, they are already rigged up with hooks and weight also, or you could use berkley gulp jerk shads they should work too

Edited by Spoooled

Z-man 4" Swimmerz in Hitch, Red Shad and Pearl. Match them to 6/0, 3/8 - 1/2 TT Headlockz. Great action and one of the best mullet imitations around. Other than that you have the old favourites like jerkshads and squidgy 100mm fish. One thing you need to keep in mind with jewfish is obviously focus on the bottom quarter of the water column but they sit midwater at times so make sure you work that on the way up. Don't fish your plastics too quickly. In winter, blades aren't a bad option for working the deeper areas just to mix things up.

Jewfish on soft plastics really aren't an easy starting point. Got nothing to lose in trying though. Have a look around the deeper parts of Sugarloaf Bay and Bantry Bay. Some nice fish around.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for that. So would you fish the 30 m middle of sugarloaf or in the shallower parts near structure? Also what is a blade?

No, not really. You want to be looking for structure. In sugarloaf bay the holes and drop offs are what you should focus on. Work the edges of the holes as well as the middle. They'll often sit on the edge. Up the back of most middle harbour bays you'll find nice drop offs. The one up the back of bantry is worth a look at night (drops from 1-7m) but not particularly consistant. You'll get some nice flatties up there though. In Sugarloaf they're scattered around. Just use your sounder to locate them. You should mark a few jewfish on your sounder if your in the right areas.

A blade (aka vibe) is pretty much a little piece of metal. They're shaped like small baitfish and have a really nice, tight action. Just don't fish them in snaggy areas unless you change the trebles to single hooks a you'll lose a fair few... Do a google search on them and you'll be able to find out more. A great way to target the bigger bream and trevally over winter as well.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

It's a big ask starting out on plastics chasing a jew. Good luck.

Why not try for the bread & butter species, get your experience up &

then chase the bigger stuff.

I'm just worried that you will put a lot of time in for no result & then give up.

Cheers,

Grant.

Yep, flathead is a great starting point. I'd say they will be the first fish to find your lure even if jewfishing. They don't really have a preference for lure shape, size or colour or retrieve which are things that can be a problem with jew (and also bream) so long as you keep in contact with the bottom (most important). Due to these things, larger and heavier lures can be used which makes flicking much simplier as you can feel your lure just that much better. They are also found pretty much anywhere in the waterway in shallow or deep.

Edited by nbdshroom

Z-man 4" Swimmerz in Hitch, Red Shad and Pearl. Match them to 6/0, 3/8 - 1/2 TT Headlockz. Great action and one of the best mullet imitations around. Other than that you have the old favourites like jerkshads and squidgy 100mm fish. One thing you need to keep in mind with jewfish is obviously focus on the bottom quarter of the water column but they sit midwater at times so make sure you work that on the way up. Don't fish your plastics too quickly. In winter, blades aren't a bad option for working the deeper areas just to mix things up. 

Jewfish on soft plastics really aren't an easy starting point. Got nothing to lose in trying though. Have a look around the deeper parts of Sugarloaf Bay and Bantry Bay. Some nice fish around.

Cheers, Tom

What tom said plus add some squidgy fish in sliver fox

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2