set up for jigging

fisholb

Hi raiders. Can anyone give me advice on the gear use for jigging targeting kingys? My current setup is a penn ssv10500 matched on the penn sbj9000. The reel is spooled with 50lb power pro braid. What size jig and leader do you recommend? I got some 160g jigs and 50lb fc leader. Will the double uni strong enough to connect the mainline to the leader? Thanks for all the help.

Hi raiders. Can anyone give me advice on the gear use for jigging targeting kingys? My current setup is a penn ssv10500 matched on the penn sbj9000. The reel is spooled with 50lb power pro braid. What size jig and leader do you recommend? I got some 160g jigs and 50lb fc leader. Will the double uni strong enough to connect the mainline to the leader? Thanks for all the help.

When jigging for half a day, you want your gear to be as light as can possibly be. Depending on the current you'll probably want to use 250-300 jig, anything lighter than that dosnt jig to well or get in a rhythm to well... Personal opinion

You'll want to learn the Bimini twist and then Albright that to your leader. 50lb is adequate. Although it is the time of year when there are bigger kings about. A mate got busted off by a 20kg+ model last week, he got to see it before the hook broke off the jig.

Your reel is probably a bit big but will cut the mustard. Get some type of protection for your fingers, weather it be full fingered gloves or some type bandage tape because you might get some of this

Posted Image

Fishingphase

I would up the leader size to 80-100 lb. The jig can loop around the leader and cause a break off with lighter

leaders. It's a good idea to make it long, ie 3-4m. A double uni is OK but you must tie a double in the braid

first (bimini twist, 40 plus turns). 200 -300g jigs would be better for deep reefs.

Thank you very much fishingphase n billfisher...ill get d 320g jigs...use 100lb leader /4m...swap my reel to my penn 760...got a good pair of gloves..always wear one when im spinning for bonito/salmon off d rocks...