Where to find Flathead in the Hawkesbury River ?!

GrantJack1994

hey fisho's,

new on the site, this is my first ever post !

just wanted to ask a quick question, what spots in the Hawkesbury are reasonably consistent for flathead and bream? ive already stocked up on bait to keep my mates who aren't as interested in fishing busy catching whatever ends up on the hook (Hopefully a couple of nice eating bream), but lately im hooked on soft plastics, specifically anything from 3' minnows to 5' jerk shads, and targeting flathead on light gear. still perfecting my technique on the soft plastics but am starting to have some success with a double flick/lift that seems to be popular in fishing vids.

my PB is a rather small 52cm and I just thought that some of you boys would know the Hawkesbury better then I, as I usually fish the South Coast's estuaries.

Any comments with help/ideas would be wonderful :)

Patonga at Brisk Bay : http://goo.gl/maps/1mwt3

Dont know how far you are from there - but there is an amazing little sand bar / drop off where the beach meets the creek - you get Flathead there.
Last time I was there (on a boat) - there were Tailor chasing schools in that area too - Casting SP's in their general direction and cranking it back in quick was catching them (or getting the tails bitten off!)

Change the google link to "satelite view" and you can see the sandbars http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=patonga&ll=-33.556774,151.271042&spn=0.00734,0.013937&hnear=Patonga+New+South+Wales&gl=au&t=h&z=17

awesome info mate, looks like a great little spot to try, do you know any spots further up towards berowra and stuff, because im sorta stuck up that way for the weekend, although next week ill try patonga as im a uni student on uni break which is great !

appreciate the spot, ill let you know how it goes as soon as i get the chance

Guest Aussie007

drift the east side of the highway bridge try all along it untill u find the fish but remember most of the channels under the bridge are closed for maintenance and this is usually the spot for the fish

funny enough my mate who has caught the last 3 big flatties in this spot uses a 15kg rod with 80lb line, the flatties have been up to around 80cm where as i use 8lb line and catch the small fish lol, all the fish have been released so there are some big flatties sitting on the bottom

i think the fish are eating the stuff thats being taking off the bridge supports as it drifts away

Anywhere in the hawkesbo ATM. But I agree with gazza, the big ones are sitting there waiting for big baits! Also try any of the shallows up Cowan especially in the arvo after a nice warm day! Good luck.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest Aussie007

GrantJack, i thought i might have seen u out trying out the spot i mentioned at the hawkesbury we fished there yesterday for flatties a mate picked up a 90cm jewie around lunch time

drift the east side of the highway bridge try all along it untill u find the fish but remember most of the channels under the bridge are closed for maintenance and this is usually the spot for the fish

funny enough my mate who has caught the last 3 big flatties in this spot uses a 15kg rod with 80lb line, the flatties have been up to around 80cm where as i use 8lb line and catch the small fish lol, all the fish have been released so there are some big flatties sitting on the bottom

i think the fish are eating the stuff thats being taking off the bridge supports as it drifts away

hey mate, sorry for slow reply, uni exams so there has been some quick catchup study after the long weekend !

i wasnt there sunday ended up there friday day and night, for only 2 flathead, 38 and 44cm respectively, got a nice 39cm bream pushing 1kg on sunday in berowra waters in a small bay a couple hundred metres from the mouth.

all in all a slow weekend but im a real rookie on the hawkesbury !