What reel should I buy ?

boattart

I just picked up a new rod the other day not because I needed it just because it was a good price but now need to match a reel to it. The rod is a Rapala Braid Concept BC-6102SPL. It's a 6'10" 2-4kg rod which I want to run 4kg braid as a heavy estuary or light snapper outfit. For this reason I would like the reel to hold 200m at least of braid while still being a balanced outfit. I know there are some keen anglers here and everyone has their favourite reels so thought I'd ask here for advice.

2500 Caldia would be my pick. Really solid reels and going for under 300 online at the moment. I've got a couple of them and certainly worth the price tag. Plenty of drag for the snapper as well.

Cheers, Tom

I have pretty much the same thing going on however I have two spools for it, 3000 fj stradic on a 2-4kg 6'10" T-Curve, one is loaded with 4lb the other loaded with 8lb. It is a great well balanced reel with a very good drag, deep spools in case you need it and can chase a big fish down, and suits pretty much all of my estuary and fresh water needs. It would handle good sized snapper, salmon, tailor, schoolie jews, big flathead, big trout, bass, yellowbelly, perhaps even a murray cod (haven't tried this one though so that is just speculation). Best part is you can get one of thes models relatively cheap these days and they are still just as good as when released.

2500 Caldia would be my pick. Really solid reels and going for under 300 online at the moment. I've got a couple of them and certainly worth the price tag. Plenty of drag for the snapper as well.

Cheers, Tom

I was at daiwa yesterday servicing my Sol 2000 - great reel, I would recommend it but probably the 2500 for what you want.

I asked the bloke what the difference was between sol and caldia and what would he recommend. These reels are both around the same price same specs.

The main difference is the metal body on the sol. So for the bigger size reel/ if its going to get a lot of force through it, go with this over the caldia. For the smaller reel sizes for bream etc The plastic/metal body will be less of an issue.

I find it quite funny they have such similar reels in the range.