Suggestion For Gear To Buy

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

I am just stepping up in the fishing game and i am looking to buy a baitrunner set up and a overhead set up .

I am looking to start targeting the bigger fish. So i want it to be able to handle jewies and king's in the chance that i hook up on 1, but also good for flatties and bream

There is still a limit on the pocket though :1yikes: so if you could let me know wat brand and type and also the PRICE you think i will be paying for it cause i am only newish i don't want to get ripped off :1wallbash:

I am only a begginer in the big fish stakes so i don't need the top of the tree but still good gear that is realiable that i will be able to have for a while.

Any suggestion would be greatly appriciated and i will let you know what i end up getting and you can give me your opinion.

Edited by Sea Jay

Guest Jocool

Can't go wrong with Shimano Baitrunners. They are reliable, and seem to be going at great prices. As far as fear of being ripped off goes, get in touch with Australian Bass Angler. They make it a habit of looking after Fishraider members. :thumbup:

Guest Sea Jay
Can't go wrong with Shimano Baitrunners. They are reliable, and seem to be going at great prices. As far as fear of being ripped off goes, get in touch with Australian Bass Angler. They make it a habit of looking after Fishraider members. :thumbup:

60964[/snapback]

Where are they located?

What sort of $$ you reacon?

If you are seriously after big kings and jews then that same tackle won't be suitable for bream.

A shimano baitrunner is a good reel but if you plan on getting big kings, overheads are the go.

You are probably best off looking at a shimano baitunner 3500 for the bream, flatties and the smaller kings and jews.

If you plan on doing a lot of live baiting for the bigger fish, definately get an overhead. A Shimano TLD 20 is a good choice. There are plenty of decent star drags around too, but for the price a TLD can't be beat.

EDIT: also check out the Shimano Charter Special, top allrounder!

Edited by Bashir

Guest Sea Jay
If you are seriously after big kings and jews then that same tackle won't be suitable for bream.

A shimano baitrunner is a good reel but if you plan on getting big kings, overheads are the go.

You are probably best off looking at a shimano baitunner 3500 for the bream, flatties and the smaller kings and jews.

If you plan on doing a lot of live baiting for the bigger fish, definately get an overhead.  A Shimano TLD 20 is a good choice.  There are plenty of decent star drags around too, but for the price a TLD can't be beat.

EDIT:  also check out the Shimano Charter Special, top allrounder!

60969[/snapback]

Have any ideas of figures cause i was going to head up to the Australian bass angler tomorrow but i just wanted an idea of how much money i was going to be up for, for those 2 set ups you mentioned, just so i don't get to bigger shock.

Guest Jocool

All of the reels mentioned are around the $200 mark, give or take a few. I can personally vouch for the Charter Specials. They are a great reel. Has the versatility and accuracy of a lever drag, and the benefit of the level wind to lay the line flat for you. Don't try and cast with it unless you are fairly proficient casting an overhead. There are 2 sizes in the Charter Special. A 1000 and a 2000. I would go the 2000. Gives the versatility of the bigger capacity.

Do you also need the rods to suit, or do you have some already?

ABA are at Penrith. You will find a link on these pages for all their details.

Guest Sea Jay
All of the reels mentioned are around the $200 mark, give or take a few. I can personally vouch for the Charter Specials. They are a great reel. Has the versatility and accuracy of a lever drag, and the benefit of the level wind to lay the line flat for you. Don't try and cast with it unless you are fairly proficient casting an overhead. There are 2 sizes in the Charter Special. A 1000 and a 2000. I would go the 2000. Gives the versatility of the bigger capacity.

Do you also need the rods to suit, or do you have some already?

ABA are at Penrith. You will find a link on these pages for all their details.

60974[/snapback]

Probley looking to get a rod aswell i dont know if they do packages as i said i was going to head out there tomorrow.

Wat is the difference between a baitrunner and a overhead?

Guest Jocool

Wat is the difference between a baitrunner and a overhead?

60975[/snapback]

BIG difference. A Baitrunner is just a spinning reel with basically an extra drag.

This is a 6500 Baitrunner.

This is a 2000 Charter Special.

As far as combos go, it would be the best way for you to get them. You can haggle a better price when you are buying more than 1 item. :1prop::1prop:

Guest Sea Jay
BIG difference. A Baitrunner is just a spinning reel with basically an extra drag.

This is a 6500 Baitrunner.

This is a 2000 Charter Special.

As far as combos go, it would be the best way for you to get them. You can haggle a better price when you are buying more than 1 item. :1prop:  :1prop:

60979[/snapback]

What is the advantage of using 1 compared to the other?

Guest Jocool

The Baitrunner is like a normal spinning reel...EXCEPT...It has the baitrunner feature. This is basically a second drag that you set. It is operated by the lever that you see at the back of the reel, behind the foot. When engaged, it allows the fish to RUN with the BAIT, before you dis-engage it, and then set the hook. It saves you keeping the reel in freespool if there is a bit of run in the water, or setting the drag too lightly and then having to stuff around by cranking the drag pressure up before you can lean into a fish.

The Charter Special allows you to have a lever drag to faccilitate the hook setting process. An overhead will also eliminate line twist, to a degree, as the line dosen't have to exit the spool at an acute angle when casting. It is a simpler design than a spinning reel.

I'm sure others may have more to add. :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool

Also the advantage with any overhead, is that they can pretty much be used as a baitrunner too. All this talk about overheads and baitrunners though is really overkill for the likes of bream and flatheads though. Shimano used to make their baitrunners in small sizes and they're great for bream, but they stopped them years ago, your best choice in that area is probably the okuma epix baitrunner.

Guest Sea Jay
Also the advantage with any overhead, is that they can pretty much be used as a baitrunner too.  All this talk about overheads and baitrunners though is really overkill for the likes of bream and flatheads though.  Shimano used to make their baitrunners in small sizes and they're great for bream, but they stopped them years ago, your best choice in that area is probably the okuma epix baitrunner.

61001[/snapback]

I mainly wanted them for big fish though.

I have a few light setups for bream and flatties.

I was looking for these rods for targeting the bigger species.

Guest bluecod
I mainly wanted them for big fish though.

I have a few light setups for bream and flatties.

I was looking for these rods for targeting the bigger species.

61013[/snapback]

Sea Jay,

Chew the ear off the boys at ABA, let them know what you've already got and what you want the new gear for - after all it is their business to know these things.... and don't forget to tell them FishRaider sent you :1clap:

Guest Sea Jay
Sea Jay,

Chew the ear off the boys at ABA, let them know what you've already got and what you want the new gear for - after all it is their business to know these things....  and don't forget to tell them FishRaider sent you  :1clap:

61042[/snapback]

Will they look after me is i let them know that i am a member here. i was thinking of heading up there tomorrow.

I am a bit nervous because i dont have that much experience in buying fishing gear and i will be a little lost in some of the things that they are telling me.

Sorry if this sounds silly!

Guest Sea Jay

I read in another section that there was a place down the Horsley Drive having a sale on Shimano gear anyone know anything about it or which place it is????

Thats if you can tell me!

Edited by Sea Jay

Hi sea jay,

as far as the gear goes ,the guys have all suggested the Shimano gear which really is the way to go.The Baitrunner in the 6500 size is a good reel and can handle line around the 8kg class really well.As far as the over head goes I reckon that a TLD 25 is the way to go,it can handle 15kg line quite comfortably .The nice thing about it is that it is damn simple to pull apart and service your self.I used to work for ABU years ago and can only say that level winds really wind me up,they are the classic weak points and when you have that :ranting2: overun as you will soon find out that they make excellant finger jammers as well!!.

I would do a little shopping around for the out fits ,I might suggest that you look at the solid tip silstar rods if you are budget minded ,they can handle as much abuse as any ugly stick can ,but at a considerabley cheaper price.

Cheers Simon

I read in another section that there was a place down the Horsley Drive having a sale on Shimano gear anyone know anything about it or which place it is????

Thats if you can tell me!

61052[/snapback]

I think that place is called a shop.

Guest Jewel

I have a silstar crystal blue power tip with a TLD15 and 15kg braid, would not part with it as an outside outfit. Its fairly low tech, but a joy to use, reasonably light but has B@!!$ that drag on the ground. It it very versatile and not too pricey, a mate has the same rod with a trinidad (the extra speed is nice but I like the lever drag).

Thanks for all your help fella's

All your comments have been greatly appriciated.

61081[/snapback]

Just brought four new Aerostar Whipstick 6 boat rods with Focus EP500 reels. Hoping to use them this weekend. Did you get the good special for mentioning this site Sea Jay????

What's this! Bashir recommending Okuma! He must be unwell.

61328[/snapback]

Its wrong I know, but there are no other baitrunners in that size. :wacko: I don't mind the epix series actually, I have owned one and I own a couple of other okuma eggbeaters, they're ok but I don't reccomend them over shimano. :thumbup: