Thredbo River

Hi all, down in Jindabyne on holiday for a few days, had to have a crack at the mighty Trout for closing weekend!

I figured the Thredbo was my best bet, as the Eucumbene was getting hammered.

I heard 22 people were fishing one pool, so not my cup of tea, although they all caught good fish I believe.

Turns out not many people were on the Thredbo, but also there were not a lot of fish.

With the rain last week a lot had run through, with some good catches.

The conditions were tough, -5oC the first morning, wading wasn't too bad, my waders froze like stiff boards every time I got out lol.

The water was ultra clear and the sun didn't help either.

Long story short, got nothing first morning, for 3 hours fishing.

Saw 5 fish in total, got a few good casts on them but wasn't to be.

Yesterday, closing day, decided to walk downstream from the bridge, which turned out to be a good decision.

Only saw fish in one pool, maybe 8, all fairly small.

Didn't connect there, so walked 2k downstream, which was nice in beautiful country.

To sum up, no fish, but nice place to be.

It was nice to have another crack at river fly fishing, maybe next year!

Edited by foolforjesus

Yeah haven't have the best fishing with this river lark lol!

We bought some schnapps the other day actually lol!

Looking forward to the mighty Blue Mountains now!

I'll probably have an hour or two off the banks at Jindy tonight or in the morning, see if I can rustle one up stalker stylez!

Edited by foolforjesus

Hi Foolforjesus,

Better luck next year. I was on the Thredbo river a week earlier(31/5 to 2/6) and with all the rain, the river rose up to the top of the bank on Saturday 1st June. It was fast and the water dirty and it was not possible to fly fish. The next day, the water level dropped but it was still dirty. The rain was light during the day but heavy at night.

The schnapps place is a very nice distraction.

Regards Kit

Hi Kit,

Yes I believe last week was the time to crack em!

I walked up to the hatchery on closing day for a look.

Opposite the hatchery, the stretch of river there was pretty chokers with fish lol.

Always the way hey!

Nice fish from your Mate Pat. He seems to be the guru for sure, I saw the big brown he got last year, maybe a week after we left!

Bad luck in the alpines. You should give the Coxs and the fish a go when they are opened up again Chris, I have seen a few come out of these streams on the fly. They are nice walks too. I got a 54cm brown out of there a month or 2 ago now which was alot of fun, so there are some good size fish to be had in them. Until then there is always the dams up here.

Hi Jew Stalker,

Yeah it was tough in the Thredbo, the conditions were far from good.

Yeah I'm keen for a crack on the Cox's & the Fish rivers.

Not really sure where to go, maybe we can hook up for a day when the rivers are back open.

Yeah I love fishing the dams, Thommo's being my favourite.

After seeing the two fish you caught at Lyell though, I'm keen to suss out the Trout on offer there lol!

Can do. Thommos is kind of a freaky place, it can really come alive and it holds monsters that make mine look small, It can go completely dead also where you would swear it was a barren wasteland. I would like to go there when there is less water in there to have a real good look at the features around the place for a better idea on trout habitat in dams. They are an intriguing fish and worthy of the attention.

Mate its in the Megalong Valley topo maps are your friend fo finding streams in the mountains mate ive found some crackers in the Southern Highlands! You access it off Carlons Farm its a 6 or so kilometre walk not a great drop in elevation so a failry easy hike

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that's the best time for the breakfast creek trips, I usually camp there for a few nights and its not to cold i saw heaps last yr it's just that hill on the way back that kill you, might head up there for quick look soon