trolling motor for 5.3m aluminium

SargeRX8

Hey all

Just after some info for a trolling motor. Its a 5.3m with a 90hp on the back and two batteries. Looking at the bow of the boat I think im gonna go with a transom mount. Would a 55lb el cheapo be sufficient? I can't afford one of the fancy pedal units and I believe they are severely over priced. Just not sure if one of the lower powered units will be able to push and hold the boat.

Hi Sarge. 55Lb thrust wont be enough for your boat. I have a 4.8m and 60HP engine and 55lb is just enough. Its going to depend on what exactly you want to do but generally you will need something more powerful for your situation.

I know they cost more but get a good brand aswell. Its worth it in the long run. Also if you can, persist with fitting a bow mount. They are better. What you pay for is what your going to get.

Edited by Roylo

Does it matter if the bow isn't flat? They look awesome on the bream tournament type of boats as theyre flat and sit low but mine sits fairly high on the front. My main use for it would be to drift the boat with some control of direction when needed. Starting the outboard isnt hard but it feels overly unnecessary.

What brand do you have? I wouldnt mind a unit with a foot pedal if it isnt going to break the bank.

Hi, I only like the Miin Kota range, yes they are dearer than other brands but you get what you pay for in life. I have a good second hand M/K Terrova Auto-pilot for $750 so much better than a cheap new brand.

Cheers,

Huey.

Does it matter if the bow isn't flat? They look awesome on the bream tournament type of boats as theyre flat and sit low but mine sits fairly high on the front. My main use for it would be to drift the boat with some control of direction when needed. Starting the outboard isnt hard but it feels overly unnecessary.

What brand do you have? I wouldnt mind a unit with a foot pedal if it isnt going to break the bank.

You can use rubber spacers to make the unit level or get a flat bracket welded on for it. Also make sure the shaft is long enough. Id say you will need a longer than standard shaft for your boat.

I have had a Minn Kota for about 9 years now and its still going and looking well. Its a fresh water model used in salt too. I fitted up I pilot to it recently and spot lock is the best thing ever.

Dont get a model that doesnt have either foot or remote control. You will quickly get fed up with having to go over to the motor from other parts of the boat every time to change its position, leaning over etc. Thats another reason to fit a bow mount rather than rear.

you would need a 80pd unit

bass boats are low sided so wind doesnt affect them as much

a 5.3m tinny or glass boat can have a huge area to catch wind and 54pd will just struggle or need to be run at high settings to do anything

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...