Lake eucumbene & jindabyne - trout

alluring

Hi all, coast looks a little rough for rock fishing this week so thinking of getting away with my mates to try trout for the first time! Just wondering if anybody knows what's best to target trout land based in the lakes, maybe locations or what to look for, and how exactly to fish for them. I have a range of freshwater lures, from minnows, wobblers, spinnerbaits and soft plastics.

I know season's over now so not planning on keeping any, as I understand it you can fish for them in the lakes but not the rivers, and can't keep them. Are brook trout and salmon stocked in jindy under the no taking rule either? I hear they don't spawn naturally so wondering if they're covered too. Any info is appreciated - been searching the web for a few days with no luck!!

Alluring

Hi mate.

Trout are a great species to target and i actually spend more time these days marching around lakes looking for trout.

I like to chase them on plastics and fly, favourite softies are shads, minnows and wrigglers around the 2-3inch mark.

you can also catch them on hardbodys, spoon/wobblers, blades, and theres always the old tassie devils.

Another good method if you dont know how to flyfish is to have a fly or 2 under a bubble float.

At this time of year ALOT of the fish have moved into the rivers to spawn but theres still heaps to be caught in the lakes as they dont spawn every year.

Coming into winter the fish will start to move around alot more during the daylight hours especially the rainbows so you should have a good chance at getting onto some fish.

Salmon and brookies are stocked into Jindabyne for sure and sometimes the hatchery will release salmon that are getting too big into the river or lake upto 15lbers.

Id be heading to Jindabyne lake or eucumbene lake.

Also someone correct me if im wrong but i think its fine to take fish from the lake in closed season its only in the rivers they are protected.

Saying that keep an eye out on the rules and regs for the water your fishing as different systems have different bag limits and rules eg; (no bait fishing)

Good luck on your new mission mate, hope you catch a few.

Yeah good option while the weather on the coast is bad. I was thinking of that myself. Will be freezing.

About the trout fishing. You can fish the lakes with both lure, fly and also bait. And you can keep your bag limit of 5 trout out of the lake all year round.

Just the trout streams are closed to fishing and no bait all year round.

Check the dpi website it has loads of info on what lakes are open there's khancoban poundage tantagra dam as well on eucumbene braener bay is good as is old adaminaby the lakes up so far that it is not part of the river at the moment. Warning you are I the alps so it's going to be cold rug up and prepare for anything have an emergency blanket and first aid kit in a water right dry bag cause if a mate takes a dip hypothermia will set in quick and those blankets are great in a pinch dry clothes in the car as well if you away from camp and if you have them waders are good will keep wind out and tou warm breathables are preferable also keep the fluids up in the alps cause even though it's cold you can dehydrate real quick in the dry air of the high altitude. Good luck should be loads of bows prowling as its another month or two till they run the rivers in numbers you may see some recovering browns that are slabby and recovering if tou want a fish for the pot don't be tempted to knock these as the flesh is usuall poor knock a nice plump fish that has no fin wear IMHO again best of luck also try the lake at providence there should be fish there waiting to run just make sure your not in the river itself the locals will point you in the right direction if you need gear see Alex at the bp about four or five kms out of Cooma on The way to jindabyne he will have the local info and how it's fishing

Cheers for all the great info guys!!

Any hints on where they'd be hanging out? Do trout just cruise around or do they prefer shallows/deep water/snags etc? Just wondering if they're are any specific haunts to target from the banks. Also as for the bag limit - 5 of mixed species? Or 5 of each rainbow/brown/brook?

Ahh this has got me super keen for the lakes, and I have a tuna fishing charter off Narooma this Friday, so if all goes well I'm looking at a top weekend :-)

Also, bear in mind that the bag limits for taking fish can vary from water to water.

Not every water if lure, fly and bait fishing. Most are, but if it is classed as a trophy dam, then your not allowed to bait fish, plus there are different rules for hooks allowed etc.

Best to check the rules thoroughly for the water you'll be fishing.

Alluring,

how did you get on , did you get to Jindy and have a fish?

we got there Friday and met some great weather on the weekend but no fish, Monday would have been great with the rain likely stirring them up, but we had a big Goulash and Spaetzle (and plenty to drink) on Sunday night so a sleep in was in order before we headed home

we fished hatchery bay late Friday arvo into evening, creel bay late morning sat and early Sunday we fished immediately below where the Thredbo runs into the lake, all for zero results - conditions were great for walking the banks with a big high pressure and windless days, should have been good for polarioding but we only saw a couple, maybe they did not like the barometer of 1020 and over 1030 at times. I had a good chat with a local fly fisho on sat arvo, nice guy scored a 5lb brookie on Friday ! He said fish were there on the edges but flies had to be scratching the bottom, and big was good size, i.e buggers, streamers etc,with the nymphs not the current favourite. So i added a sink tip for the Sunday and lost many flies to the timber, but at least it that got the heart going a couple of times thinking wood was a fish

beautiful part of the world, i captured what i could .. and that was the scenery - i worked out how to get the lighting right on the iphone 4

Also heard the fish are deep on daphnia, tiny little larvae of some sort hanging down deep in huge swarms, so maybe a black size 16+ nymph with bead head bugger on point with might be an idea. Other current local advice was to concentrate on fishing the change of light and or change of weather. It was a men of the family +_+ friends weekend with kegs of home brew, other crafty beers and homemade spirits so it’s not really that surprising we blanked.. my ego is still smarting though lol

cheers

grant

Bay reflection 1 jindy 062013 Web

sunset 7 hatchery Bay jindy 062013 Web

hill reflection 1 jindy 062013 Web

moonrise 1 jindy 062013 Web

Alluring,

how did you get on , did you get to Jindy and have a fish?

we got there Friday and met some great weather on the weekend but no fish, Monday would have been great with the rain likely stirring them up, but we had a big Goulash and Spaetzle (and plenty to drink) on Sunday night so a sleep in was in order before we headed home

we fished hatchery bay late Friday arvo into evening, creel bay late morning sat and early Sunday we fished immediately below where the Thredbo runs into the lake, all for zero results - conditions were great for walking the banks with a big high pressure and windless days, should have been good for polarioding but we only saw a couple, maybe they did not like the barometer of 1020 and over 1030 at times. I had a good chat with a local fly fisho on sat arvo, nice guy scored a 5lb brookie on Friday ! He said fish were there on the edges but flies had to be scratching the bottom, and big was good size, i.e buggers, streamers etc,with the nymphs not the current favourite. So i added a sink tip for the Sunday and lost many flies to the timber, but at least it that got the heart going a couple of times thinking wood was a fish

beautiful part of the world, i captured what i could .. and that was the scenery - i worked out how to get the lighting right on the iphone 4

Also heard the fish are deep on daphnia, tiny little larvae of some sort hanging down deep in huge swarms, so maybe a black size 16+ nymph with bead head bugger on point with might be an idea. Other current local advice was to concentrate on fishing the change of light and or change of weather. It was a men of the family +_+ friends weekend with kegs of home brew, other crafty beers and homemade spirits so it’s not really that surprising we blanked.. my ego is still smarting though lol

cheers

grant

Hey Grant, yeah I definitely got out to jindy on monday, zero results though.. :((

Fished all day, through steady rain mainly spinning devils, spinners and those little blade-fish shaped things that apparently look similar to the goldfish they have in there. The spots I was at was across the road from the first run of shops in town, and spent the arvo walking along the small bays from the boat ramp next to the holiday park just out of town. My mate brought along his fly rod and gave it a shot too, with no luck, and considering we had four rods in the water most of the day we were a bit bummed nothing showed up. Completely killed the excitement of catching trout for the first time, might be a while before I can psych myself up to give it another crack! Definitely went home feeling like a drink hahah. You got some nice shots though, and at least you scored better weather than me..

Andrew

hey alluring,

yeah a few kms past the caravan park woudl have been the go.. cant think of the bay, near curiosty rocks .. or anywhere with a little creek running into a bay would have some rainbows all stirred up, or thats the advice we got and general theory for this time of year.

apparently last year it was very hard NOT to get a fish this time of year anywhere on the lake, but thats trout fishing

better luck next time .. for both of us !