TCD yesterday

Hi Raiders. I went up to TCD yesterday (Friday) for the first time in many months. Headed along the southern side and spotted a number of false spawners. There were a number of quite sizeable fish among them, but unfortunately they didn't hang around long enough to get a fly in front of them. I suspect theat maybe in a week or two more fish will be gathering and there will be greater opportunities to target them successfully. I also checked out Lake Wallace, but no sign of spawning activity there. Some years ago there was an amazing spawn run in Lake Wallace that ran for weeks with massive fish patrolling close to shore in huge numbers.

Kind regards to all

Flycaster

Thien it depends on many things at TCD you can use a weighted nymph and glow bug off the bend combo slow dredged or a multitude of streamers to inticexa strike slow stripped up over the weed bed drop offs or tou can dead drift a double nymph rig under and indicator go to nymphs would be hare and coppers copper John pheasant tails green seals fur or a brown nymph streamers can include wolly buggers black dogs black rabbits yellow rabbits mrs Simpsons and hamills killer hope this helps

What'll happen is you'll buy all these flys, eventually catch a fish on one of them then never use any other fly! For me it's the woolly bugger, also the buggers are dead simple to tie and that means you can change the weight of them to fish slightly deeper or shallower. Once you get going you'll find getting the rod and reel is just the start. Then comes the lines, tippets, flies, then the fly tying gear, bags, waders, vests, the list just goes on and on.

On a bit more helpful note, if you google "troutflies" you'll find a great source of flies. Some of their fly packs give great variety and are a good place to start.

In all honesty you need a basic fly selection for trout you will have go to flies that catch fits for 80 percent of the time then there's the time you will pull out the one you never use cause nothing else works trust me it's happened many times to myself! But keep your gear simple you don't need tapered leaders you tie your, no need for a best it complicates things a small backpack and a shirt with pockets keep it basic and tou will have fun! My kit consists of a 30 litre slimline pack for food water a rain jacket basic first aid kit and additional fly boxes I have five!!!! In my shirt pocket I keep a basic fly box with my go to flies some leader material that's it I dont use tapered leaders just straight Iz pound fluro