Pillies - forward or backward?

Snakewood

Hi Raiders

Been sitting on the sidelines watching how the game works on this site, time to jump into the action!

I'm moving to Sydney next week (from Canada)Yay! Can't wait to start fishing again after 10 years!!! Grew up in South Africa and fished a lot, we always used pillies forward with the head facing up the line and did pretty well catching Tailor (different name over there) during the annual pillie run on the east coast. Lately I've noticed in a couple of publications fishos rigging their pillies backward - with the tail facing up the line?

Now that seems to make a bit of sense because a fish will usually swallow a bait head first and the hooks would be facing the right way for a hookup, but tailor, I believe, normally strike at the tail first ............

Just wondering which way round everyone rigs their baits for tailor?

By the way - excellent site, an absolute gold mine of information. Even when I google something fishing related from Canada, Fishraider usually comes up on the first page of the search. And must commend the guys (and girls) that moderate the site - great job you do in keeping it family friendly and keeping all members in line, it could so easily go south without your efforts - well done!

Cheers

Snakewood

welcome to Sydney (for when you do arrive) Ive never heard of a pilly going on backwards but as you said it does make sense but then it would look like its swimming backwards though it would be easier to put on a gang putting the first hook through the eye instead of trying to guess where t start from. Tell ya what if I get the chance I will try it before you get here!

Brett

Edited by oz_brett

welcome to Sydney (for when you do arrive) Ive never heard of a pilly going on backwards but as you said it does make sense but then it would look like its swimming backwards though it would be easier to put on a gang putting the first hook through the eye instead of trying to guess where t start from. Tell ya what if I get the chance I will try it before you get here!

Brett

Thanks Mate, let me know how it goes. They normally use 2 half hitches around the tail - as long as the gang is short enough

For cast and retrieve on ganged hooks, head on the top hook. Sometimes I snip off the tail if using ganged 2/0 hooks up the river. (bigger size hooks off the rocks or beach)

If fishing up the river with ganged 2/0 hooks, and I want distance from the boat, tail on the top hook and cut off the head. The head is used for burley.

we use whole pillys when targeting pelagics off rocks n off d beaches. we use 2x 2/0-4/0 suicide hooks tied on about 1m-2m trace using snell/uni knot. off d rocks, we use large torpedo float and rigged d pilly by putting d 1st hook just behind d head, 2nd hook behind d dorsal fin then half hitch the tail. very effective on d bonito/salmon/kingy/tailor. off the beaches, same rig but we replace d float with a star sinker. we use 30lb/40lb trace to minimise busts off specially from d tailor n other toothy pelagics n helps land d pelagics off rocks. hope this helps...

we use whole pillys when targeting pelagics off rocks n off d beaches. we use 2x 2/0-4/0 suicide hooks tied on about 1m-2m trace using snell/uni knot. off d rocks, we use large torpedo float and rigged d pilly by putting d 1st hook just behind d head, 2nd hook behind d dorsal fin then half hitch the tail. very effective on d bonito/salmon/kingy/tailor. off the beaches, same rig but we replace d float with a star sinker. we use 30lb/40lb trace to minimise busts off specially from d tailor n other toothy pelagics n helps land d pelagics off rocks. hope this helps...

Thanks fisholb and others, I'll be land based most likely off the rocks so this information will come in handy

I've done a lot of rock fishing, using a 12foot rod, floater and gangs, I always rig the head on the top hook. I do this cause it stays on much better. I've tried to rig the tail on the top hook a number of times, and when I cast out the pillie flies off haha Esp when you have old pillies that won't stay on well.

If you want to cast out that 50-100m, definitely head on the top hook. I've caught loads of tailor\bonnies\salmon doing this.

Hi mate,

welcome to the site. If your fishing for tailor in australia, i rig mine head facing the surface on ganged hooks under a float, much like most people. Dont be afraid to try other bigger baits also like yakkas (yellow tail and small slimy mackerell)

I bet you would of caught some monster tailor or correct me if im wrong, blue fish in south africa? i heard they get massive over there.

Cheers, Stan

Welcome to the site and hope you have some great fishing when you get here. Just a theory on any baitfish for me is that when drifting ,trolling or any form of bait moving towards you the most natural appearance is for the bait to be travelling forward therefore rigged head first. However when baitfish die or are sinking they would sink heavy end first so therefore would look more natural rigged tail first and sinking head first.

Hi mate,

I bet you would of caught some monster tailor or correct me if im wrong, blue fish in south africa? i heard they get massive over there.

Cheers, Stan

Hey Stan - Blue fish is the american name for tailor and they get real big over there mate, we called them Shad in South Africa and pretty much the same size as you guys get in Sydney

Welcome to the site and hope you have some great fishing when you get here. Just a theory on any baitfish for me is that when drifting ,trolling or any form of bait moving towards you the most natural appearance is for the bait to be travelling forward therefore rigged head first. However when baitfish die or are sinking they would sink heavy end first so therefore would look more natural rigged tail first and sinking head first.

Now that really does make a lot of sense. Cheers mate