How long is a Fibre glass boat built to last?

locodave

Hi, impossible to answer but that boat looks like HH 445R and if so they are one of the best made in terms of both ride and structural integrity. That said ALL boats can still have soft floors and transoms if not looked after but if you buy it at the right price, do the work needed (which is not that hard if you are not afraid of some elbow grease) at least with such a boat like in the picture you will have a great boat that is still sort after today and ride better than some other brands that are larger.

How much are they trying to get for the boat in the picture?

Cheers,

Huey.

G'day

It's a bit hard to explain but the biggest problem is moisture. You can usually find rot by tapping on the transom, paying plenty of attention to any areas where there's any fixtures or screws, listening for a hollow or dull sounds. Also look for cracks, or damage in the gel coat.

There's a book I read called the boat building manual, which goes into everything you'll ever need to know in detail, including identifying problems, or there's heaps on good old google.

Like Huey said you can do most things yourself, with a bit of research and practice. There's a bountiful supply of pre-loved bargains around that could be beautiful again with a bit of hard work.

Cheers Leo

Hi Guys,

The boat is not much, around $2k mark. I enjoy stripping and building things. But I have never had a boat with a bad floor or transom. Does anyone know how much I am looking at if I was to strengthen it?

Hi, Caribbean Crestcutters would also come under the same area as a Haines Hunter, we service many old ones of these two and some are on their 3rd engine, that is how long some boats can last.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys,

The boat is not much, around $2k mark. I enjoy stripping and building things. But I have never had a boat with a bad floor or transom. Does anyone know how much I am looking at if I was to strengthen it?

Hi, again hard to comment without seeing it but for around $500 you can get alloy guys to make up a "brace" for transoms that are a bit spongy. If it is $2K for BMT with that V4 that is worth every cent and it looks like a 70's vintage V4 OMC and we removed one of these from the exact same boat a while ago, that the owner-a lovely old gentleman, forgot to add oil, but the gearcase and P/T/T is in great shape so if you buy it for not a lot of money you could get this same era V4 with good P/T/T unit, gearcase, electrics etc and have a very handsome rig for under $5K even if the floor/transom needs doing. As I said HH 445s are very sought after and I have seen them converted into great little console fishing machines too.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

floor,stringers,transom is a big job IMO i done one a few years back a 17 foot bowrider one of the older styles took me about a week to remove the top strip the floor,stringers and transom than cut and grind everything back i went at it hammer and chisel, back than this was about 4 years ago supplies set me back close to $1000 from memory, the stringers i used were a really hard to find timber i had to travel from western suburbs to a little timber supply shop at botany who had to order in the timber, most timber supplies didnt want to order in the correct timber as it needed to be planed to i think 20-25mm the whole process just become overwhelming and i didnt finish the boat, i found out i dont have great fiberglassing skills or the patients to take it up