Motor with 300 hours

locodave

Hi, impossible to say without looking at it and I would want to make sure on these receipts someone has been replacing the internals andoes each year-hopefully listed on the receipt with the right part numbers. If not that can be a worry and if I was buying it I would want to inspect the internal water passages.

Of course a leak down and compression check and all the other checks will want to be done first and then a laptop diagnosis, but yes if all of the above is good and it checks out it should be O.K.

Cheers,

Huey.

300 hours is not much at all, (depending on size)

you will find larger boats do a lot more hours then the smaller boats as smaller boats just run up a river to a spot usually using a ramp in that location where the larger boats find there spots miles off shore & leaving the motor idle in gear to hold a location in the wind.

Just to give you an idea I bought my 150HP new in 2008 its now got 460 hours on it so to me 300 on a 2007 model is average.

Other thing to look at is the boat fitted with outriggers or down rigger? this will indicate hours of us traveling at low revs

Brett

Guest Aussie007

300 hours? i remember watching a recent episode of hook line and sinker they showed a yamaha or suzuki i think it was either of those, a 4 banger that had done 40,000 hours without a problem it was used daily on i think a crab boat in australia

i cant rmemeber to much details on it tho it will most likely be on youtube as the engine had all of its services done

Hi, I think that is a big exaggeration by the owner if he claim 40K hours. Even if it was one of the very first 4-Strokes it would be around 15 years old and then ever since that first day it would have to run EVERY day in that 15 years day over 7 hours per day and it is impossible. There is also no way a gearbox would last 40,000 hours with all the gear changes it would do. Simple maths.

A lot of people like to claim higher hours and higher speeds than an engine is really capable of.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

300 hours is not a lot.

I had a Yamaha 4 stroke on my last boat which I sold last year and it had 750 hours without a problem but I did service it every 100 hours. The motor was 6 years old.

My new boat has another Yamaha 4 stroke I have had since September last year and I'm already on 124 hours and its not even a year old.

• 4 weeks later...

That isn't many hrs at all. Prior to the boat we have now, the last boat I looked at had a Honda 90hp 2006 model with 5000 something hours on it. We ended up with a boat with 288 hours on the clock. From what I have read, a well serviced and maintained engine, even 5000 is a small number.

I'll be getting a full service on it once it ticks to 300.

At the same time though, hours don't kill motors, as with cars km's dont kill them. How they're driven and maintained is what kills them.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the size of the motor and how much service work it's had.

I have a 2012 175hp Suzuki with 215 hour.

I take it to get service every 100 hours and I also self change the gear box and motor oil every 50 hours, because it's used for upto 13 hours a day none stop.

Cheers Grant